Bruce Springsteen has been making his mark on the world’s musical landscape since the early 70s, and he shows no signs of slowing down. From international triumphs to personal struggles, these are some of the key moments that not only made Bruce Springsteen the artist – but also Bruce Springsteen the man.
Bruce Springsteen’s 1973 album, Greetings from Asbury Park, New Jersey, was his first release, and in a way, it’s also his most important. After all, it was the album that introduced the world to the music of the young New Jersey musician. And as Rolling Stone tells us, for Springsteen, the album represented a make-or-break opportunity where he needed to push his craft to the next level. While he’d been making waves in the local music scene for years, Springsteen now decided to really focus on songwriting and draw lyrical inspiration from his personal experiences and surroundings. Throughout the years, he often reflected on this decision.
Springsteen’s distinct songwriting voice can be heard throughout his acclaimed debut. However, before the album was released, Columbia Records wanted to promote him as being a singer-songwriter from New York City, instead of New Jersey. He pushed back hard on this marketing tactic by insisting that the album be called Greetings from Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Springsteen described the dispute to Melody Maker in 1975…
“I said, ‘Wait, you guys are nuts or something. I’m from Asbury Park, New Jersey. Can you dig it? NEW JERSEY.’ I said, ‘I want this on the album cover.’ […] They fought and fought, but we finally got it put on.”
Watch the video for more about The Untold Truth Of Bruce Springsteen!
Greetings from Asbury Park | 0:00
Born to Run | 1:37
Prove it all night | 2:35
From The River to Nebraska | 4:03
The ties that bind | 5:20
She’s the one | 6:28
On a downbound train | 7:33
Born in the U.S.A. | 8:35
Under the Western Stars | 9:50
A runaway American dream | 11:11
Read Full Article: https://www.grunge.com/162061/the-untold-truth-of-bruce-springsteen/
Upstate News Headlines
- Former North Greenville University president dies
- ‘We can’t win’: Covid is devastating nursing homes. Some staff say they are unprotected.
- CFP Chair says Clemson dominance, Buckeyes’ weak schedule played role in rankings
- 2 hospitalized after small plane crashes in Greenville Co.
- Chance for a Large & Significant Snowstorm for the Eastern U.S Next Week?!
- College Football Playoff Ranking: 1.Alabama 2.Notre Dame 3.Clemson 4.Ohio St 5.TA&M – David Pollack
- Alabama 94% make College Football Playoff – Kirk Herbstreit backlash
- ESPN College Football Playoff Top 25 | Rankings: 1.Alabama 2.Notre Dame 3.Ohio State
- Deputies investigating shooting at Greenville apartment complex
- Discussing the CFP race & Dabo Swinney criticizing the Clemson-Florida State postponement | Get Up