Motorcycle Accidents in Buffalo: Safe Ways on How to Avoid It
In any case of a vehicular accident, whether it involves cars or trucks, the driver’s and the passenger’s chance of survival will depend on the technology built in on their vehicles to keep them safe. On the other hand, a motorcycle leaves the riders relatively unprotected and very vulnerable.
Buffalo, New York offers some of the best roads in the U.S. for motorcyclists. It has incredible views which anyone can fully appreciate through riding a motorcycle.
However, with all of the sights and views, there are many distracted drivers. A lot of tourists visit the area every year. These tourists mostly don’t know the roads, and some of them don’t even follow local traffic rules. It usually leads to motorcycle accidents, learn more here for legal experts advice on what to do during a motorcycle accident.
New York Safety Regulations for Motorcyclist
New York motorcycle safety regulations impose the following rules:
- Eye protection for every motorcyclist is a must.
- Motorcyclists over the age of twenty-one who can provide a legal proof of medical insurance coverage with a minimum of ten thousand dollars are not required to wear a helmet.
- All first-time motorcycle licensees are required to take an education course for riders.
- Lane-splitting is not allowed.
- While there is no age limit for motorcycle passengers, the bike must have both a seat and a footrest for any passengers.
- Turn signals, mirrors on both sides, and mufflers to limit sound to eighty-six decibels max are mandated.
- Headlight use during the day is a must.
- Handlebars should not be higher than the seated motorcyclist’s shoulders.
- Motorcycle riders are mandated to carry a minimum liability coverage limit of the NEw York state insurance.
Safety Tips to Avoid Motorcycle Accidents
Riding a bike is very dangerous if the rider is unprepared. That is why it is important to know how to ride a bike safely.
- It is important to complete a motorcycle safety course to learn how to avoid motorcycle accidents, and how to deal with the crash.
- Bikers should pay attention to the wheels of other cars to know where a car will turn.
- Motorcyclists should watch out for any obstructions in the road to avoid any accidents.
- It is necessary to check both mirrors frequently to be aware of what’s going on behind.
- Motorcycle riders should be more careful of cars which are turning left at intersections because this is one of the most popular motorcycles and car crashes.
- It is also important to position the hands over the brakes to be able to halt at a moment’s notice when reaching a stop.
- The bikers must avoid getting rear ended at stop lights by creating a space between the motorcycle and oncoming traffic through pulling in front of the car.
- A motorcyclist should resist the urge to ride between vehicles in traffic.
- It is crucial to avoid through tight turns because the rider might end up flying off the road.
- It is also important not to drink and drive because it will just lead to severe drunk driving accidents.
- Following any speed limits is a must to avoid running into a person, animal or a car, and the rider will not be able to turn properly because of going too fast.
Buffalo, New York can offer magnificent sights and views and can be most appreciated while riding a motorcycle. However, accidents can also happen at any moment, that’s why it is necessary to know some safety tips on how to ride safely on bikes to avoid any fatal accidents.
Chris O’Brien has been handling personal injury cases in Western New York for more than 30 years. He enjoys a national reputation as not only a trial lawyer but also an educator of other trial lawyers. At the same time that he has recovered 20 million or multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of his clients, Chris has also taught trial skills in 21 states, districts, and territories as well as 2 provinces in Canada. He currently serves as the Co-Chair of the National College of Advocacy, has been a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum for 20 years, and has been named as one of Western New York’s Top Ten Lawyers by Buffalo Business First.