Everyone is dealing with the stress of Social Distancing in their own way. From exercise to reading, stress relief takes on many forms and a lot Americans are turning to gardening. Seed demand is soaring and finding plants can be a bit of a chore during this time as well.
However the benefits are too numerous to ignore:
- You can burn about 330 calories doing one hour of light gardening and yard work
- It can lower your blood pressure.
- Spending time outside is good for your bones by prompting your body to make vitamin D.
- Growing your own food can help you eat healthier.
- Gardening is positively correlated with a reduction in depression and anxiety symptoms
- growing plants may also help boost your mood. Gardening hs been linked with increases in quality of life and reductions in mood disturbance. This may have something to do with how it changes your outlook
Experts say doing an activity, like gardening, where you actually see your work paying off can help you mentally and physically and it’s not that hard to set up. If you can’t find the seeds you want, don’t stress:
“Gardeners enjoy about a five-week window to plant from mid-April to June 1. “If you don’t get started right away, don’t be anxious.”
Where to Find Plants in the Upstate
- Greenpond Plants at the Farmers Market
- Greer Essential Farmers Market
- PIEDMONT FARM AND GARDEN
- Padula’s Plants And Garden
- Martin Garden Center
- Lichtenfelt Nursery
- Hogg Greenhouses Inc.
- Belue Farms Natural Market
- Hub City Farmers Market
Sound like too much for you? Check out our list of Upstate Farms Selling Directly to the Public
Here’s over 25 Videos to help get you started on your summer garden.
Upstate News Headlines
- Should Trevor Lawrence dodge the Jets if they get the No. 1 pick? | First Take
- Trump Appointee Cites ‘Matter Of Conscience’ In Resigning Over Trump Federal Worker Order
- Sleepy beagle doesn’t want to go for a walk
- BEST HALLOWEEN NEWS BLOOPERS
- U.S. Marshals searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ man in N.C.
- Massive recycling fire could burn for days in South Carolina
- Zeta to Bring Tropical Storm Conditions to the Upstate Thursday Morning
- Millions brace for Zeta as new storm takes aim at Gulf Coast
- The states to watch as Trump, Biden continue final campaign stretch l GMA
- Police: Mother of 5 shot to death inside busy Iowa Chuck E. Cheese