Fireworks lit up the sky behind the Washington Monument to mark the end of Inauguration Day for President Joe Biden.
Biden and first lady Jill Biden watched the end of the day’s events from a balcony in the White House on Wednesday night. The Bidens’ grandchildren danced and clapped on the balcony.
While the coronavirus pandemic and security concerns in Washington vastly scaled back inaugural events, organizers created a celebratory atmosphere with live and recorded celebrity performances, ending with singer Katy Perry.
Vice President Kamala Harris and her husband, Doug Emhoff, watched the fireworks from the steps of the Washington Monument after Harris delivered brief remarks in her first speech to the nation as vice president. #WakeUpCLT #InaugurationDay
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- 'I wanted to be the light in the dark': Mom creates stuffed animals for kids with special needs
- 'It truly saved me': Woman says mask-making project helped her get through pandemic
- Plunging demand for COVID-19 tests may leave US exposed
- Greenville County deputies are searching for a missing child
- Head-on crash kills Michelin Plant worker in Anderson County
- Greenville Co. teacher receives award after helping student call 911 and save unresponsive mom
- Woman uses her own thong as mask after nearly being kicked out of store
- North Carolina Highway Patrol Commander to retire after nearly 3 decades
- Elderly couple falls in love during pandemic, planning wedding after vaccination
- Coroner identifies woman killed in Piedmont house fire