Department of Health and Human Services spokesman Michael Caputo following his 2017 testimony before the House Intelligence Committee. | Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
HHS officials pressured the CDC to conform with President Donald Trump’s public statements about the coronavirus.
Political appointees have repeatedly pressured Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials to manipulate reports, in order to make them more closely align with President Donald Trump’s public statements about the pandemic, according to a new report from Politico’s Dan Diamond.
Diamond writes that “CDC officials have fought back against the most sweeping changes,” but the report finds that Trump appointees have nevertheless succeeded in politicizing public health and the response to the coronavirus pandemic, which has now killed more than 193,000 people in the US. These officials have reportedly worked to suppress reports on the ineffectiveness of hydroxychloroquine (a drug Trump has routinely touted as
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- 753 new and probable COVID-19 cases and Zero deaths reported in South Carolina April 12th
- Greenville Seeing Very High Pollen Count This Week
- The Week Ahead: Events, Live Music and Food Truck Calendar for Greenville & The Upstate
- Reasons To Stage Your Home Before You Sell It
- Peace Center Announces White Claw Concert Series
- 2021 Park Hop Registration is Now Open!
- National Weather Service Confirms Saturday Tornado in Seneca
- Vaccine appointments becoming more available in South Carolina
- Greenville’s DMV Offices are moving: What you need to know
- Greenville Calendar: Today’s Things to Do in the Upstate SC