The long-anticipated opening of the Claudius Crozet Tunnel has moved the spotlight to beautiful, peaceful Nelson County and exciting, artistic Waynesboro, Virginia. The juxtaposition of these two places create a unique opportunity for visitors to visit both sides of the much-visited Blue Ridge Mountains. The tunnel bridges the gap between cityscape and countryside, and makes a fun destination that works for everyone- artists, gardeners, history buffs, railroad aficionados, environmentalists, hikers, campers, craft beverage enthusiasts, and lovers of the unusual.
The Claudius Crozet Blue Ridge Tunnel is a part of a greenway system connecting three counties. It runs through Afton Mountain under Rockfish Gap. The Appalachian Trail is located above it as well. The Eastern portal is in Nelson and the Western entrance is in Augusta County near Waynesboro. This trail is for hikers and cyclists of every level, wildlife watchers, history enthusiasts, railroad buffs, heritage tourists, school children on field
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Furman grad stands in for Kamala Harris during Inauguration Day rehearsal
- Work continues to identify and preserve graves of slaves in Clemson
- Upstate leaders call for citizens to vaccinate; specifically communities of color
- Pedestrian killed walking along roadway, coroner says
- Coroner: person killed while walking in Greenwood Co. roadway
- Longtime Upstate firefighter and Forestry Commission employee dies at 92
- Several fire crews battling large fire on Glassy Mountain, fire officials say
- Timing of second Covid shot doesn't need to be exact. Just get it, experts say.
- Fauci says vaccinations will help coronavirus variants from emerging