MARSHALL, NC (FOX Carolina) – The Madison County Sheriff’s Office said a man who was released from a Tennessee jail on Sunday is accused of hitting a Madison County deputy with a stolen car during a chase later in the day.
Deputies said the incident began when they received a call from Greene County TN, about a stolen 1996 Chevy truck driving towards Madison County.
Deputies said they spotted the vehicle on Highway 25/70 and the suspect, Daniel Burrell, led them on a chase in the truck.
Along Henry Worley Road, the sheriff’s office said the suspect attempted to ram into a deputy’s vehicle multiple times. Another deputy also attempted to block the suspect in on the dead-end road, and when that deputy realized the suspect wasn’t going to slow down or stop, he got out of the patrol car. That’s when deputies said Burrell swerved towards the deputy and struck him at a high rate of speed.
The stolen truck got away for a brief period of time until deputies located it and took Burrell into custody on Paw Paw Road.
The deputy was taken to the hospital, was treated and released, and was in good condition on Monday, per the sheriff’s office.
Burrell was charged with Felony Assault with a Deadly Weapon on a Government Official, Felony Flee to Elude Arrest, Felony Possession of a Stolen Motor vehicle, several counts of Damage to Property, and Traffic Violations. Burrell also has warrants for his arrest from Greene County Tennessee, Transylvania County, and Buncombe County. Deputies said.
MORE NEWS – <a class=”tnt-asset-link” style=”font-size: 1em;” href=”https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/search-continues-in-haywood-county-for-hiker-missing-now-1-week/article_7295cd62-1098-11eb-a073-1beaaedb0e1c.html”>Search continues in Haywood County for hiker, missing now 1 week</a>
Upstate News Headlines
- Buncombe County deputies searching for missing teenager
- Insomnia Cookies to open first Greenville location
- Anderson Co. deputies investigating case involving missing woman considered endangered
- Furman Professor of Politics and International Affairs Weighs in on Post-Election Controversy
- Gov. Cooper issues new executive order to tighten mask mandate
- Asheville PD arrest suspect after investigating community complaints of theft
- Coroner: Wren MS student goes into cardiac arrest on bus, dies days after being put on life support
- So You Want to Be Touring Band: A Guide to Touring, agents, and managers
- Weather Outlook: Upcoming Potential Very Cold and Snowy Pattern in Early December
- How to Make Our Easier Roast Turkey and Gravy