Photo: Lake Jocassee as seen from the Jocassee Gorges Wildlife Management Area. Photo by Travis Hall.
After Local Opposition, State Puts Brakes on South Carolina Bike Race Planned By Former Pro Cyclist George Hincapie.
“Any distance you pick, this is gonna be one heck of a ride.” So said former pro cyclist George Hincapie in a promotional video announcing the Gran Fondo Hincapie Gravel—a multi-route race that was set to take place on March 6, 2021, in the scenic Jocassee Gorges Wildlife Management Area in Hincapie’s home state of South Carolina.
But not long after the race was announced and touted as an experience for cyclists of all levels, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) denied a permit request from Hincapie Cycling for the proposed event, citing potential negative environmental impact to the biologically diverse Jocassee Gorges ecosystem. The late-September permit denial was issued after a group of roughly 70
Upstate News Headlines
- 8 Ways to Watch Movies Online with Friends and Family This Holiday Season
- Record Time: New & Notable Vinyl Releases (November 2020)
- On the Move: Mikaela Duchnak
- Covid-19 fact generator: A handy tool for your Thanksgiving dinner
- 3 Tips for COVID-19 Risk Management
- Centre Stage announces a virtual Christmas Spectacular for 2020
- Groups in the Upstate work to give back this Thanksgiving
- Pickens County Schools scale back reopening plan
- New York Times: Justice Department probed Georgia Sen. David Perdue’s stock sales at beginning of pandemic
- Judges Shut Down Trump’s Claims Of Election Irregularities In Court | NBC News NOW