Following a spike in COVID-19 cases, the school district decided to change up this week’s attendance plan for kids. Grace Runkel is in Laurens County with how it’s affecting students, parents and teachers.
From the Laurens School District
The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) released the most recent rating data for counties in South Carolina today, September 7, 2020. Laurens County, which had been “Moderate” for the prior two weeks, jumped back up to a “High” rating. Laurens County School District #55 (LCSD 55), based on the DHEC reports for the prior two weeks, had announced that they would begin school on September 8, 2020 on a “Hybrid” schedule.
Incidence Rate = Medium = 176.3
Trend in Incidence Rate = High
Percent Positive = High = 13.3%
Dear L55 Family,
According to the latest community spread levels reported this week by DHEC, Laurens County’s spread risk is currently ranked as HIGH. This means that LCSD 55 will start school on September 8th in the eLearning Phase (Red Phase).
As a result of the most recent DHEC report, LCSD 55 Superintendent Dr. Ameca Thomas sent out a call alert to parents at approximately 2:00 p.m. today announcing a change from the “Yellow” hybrid phase schedule to the “Red” all eLearning schedule.
Thomas said, “We are certainly disappointed that we will not be able to bring our students into the school buildings as originally planned. Our greatest concern, of course, is for the health and safety of students, staff, and the broader community. This report from DHEC indicates that we have not yet turned the corner with this pandemic. We are, however, well prepared for this shift and we are excited to begin the new school year on September 8th.”
LCSD 55 is using the DHEC reports each week to determine the proper phase of operations for students and staff. A “High” rating triggers the “Red” phase, which is all eLearning.
Upstate News Headlines
- What You Need To Know Before Eating Jack In The Box Tacos
- Ree Drummond’s Pancetta and Butternut Squash Pasta | The Pioneer Woman | Food Network
- Hurricane Zeta: Forecast cone, spaghetti models and position as it gets closer to Gulf of Mexico
- Chaos erupts with demonstrators in Philadelphia after armed man shot by police
- Coronavirus cases increase in 44 states as some hospitals buckle
- How Trump’s rhetoric is casting doubt on the election
- Nicole: Cloudy Tuesday with highs in the 70s
- VP Mike Pence to visit Greenville Tuesday for campaign rally
- Expect fewer gifts this holiday season
- Trump administration set to announce Medicare and Medicaid will cover Covid vaccine