On The Record podcast, former SI writer Richard Hoffer shares how Lakers’ legend Magic Johnson had dreams of dominating the boardroom before he even graduated high school and how he set the bar for athletes looking to cross over into the business sector.
In 1991, Magic Johnson landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated, with plans to cement himself as a business mogul. Today, Magic Johnson Enterprises, Johnson’s investment firm, has holdings worth an estimated $1 billion. Sports Illustrated is opening up the SI Vault and examining its most consequential work about the most legendary athletes in sports through its new podcast, The Record.
On this week episode of The Record, SI senior writer Richard Hoffer talks with Priya Desai about his Dec. 1990 article titled, Magic Kingdom. Hoffer details the time he spent with Johnson and shares how the Lakers’ legend had dreams of dominating the boardroom before he even graduated
Upstate News Headlines
- DHEC warns SC at ‘pivotal point’ as state sees highest single-day spike in new virus cases yet
- District: Chase ends with burglary suspect’s arrest on an Upstate school’s property, disrupting dismissal
- TL Hanna apologizes after some parents were upset that they were not able to buy first batch of state championship tickets
- Clemson announces plan to offer COVID-19 testing to community this month
- 72-year-old Lexington SC woman dead after being shot in the face
- Polk County Deputies: Traffic stop turns into drug bust after short struggle with suspect
- Greenville Co. Schools declines rapid COVID-19 tests being offered by state, asks anyone who has symptoms to stay home
- Greenwood police: One injured in shooting on Phoenix St.
- US House votes to decriminalize marijuana at federal level
- Buncombe deputies searching for missing man