The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) today announced the following COVID-19 updates with Greenville leading the state with 187 new Covid-19 infections. South Carolina’s Percent Positivity rate for Covid-19 testing now stands at 23%. Per Johns Hopkins, one threshold for the percent positive being “too high” is 5%.
Today’s cases and deaths (scdhec.gov/COVID19)
- New confirmed/probable total cases: 1,754/137 Summary click here
- New confirmed/probable total deaths: 21/2 Summary click here
Why is Percent Positivity Rate Important?
The percent positive will be high if the number of positive tests is too high, or if the number of total tests is too low. A higher percent positive suggests higher transmission and that there are likely more people with coronavirus in the community who haven’t been tested yet.
The percent positive is a critical measure because it gives us an indication how widespread infection is in the area where the testing is occurring—and whether levels of testing are keeping up with levels of disease transmission.
– Johns Hopkins
Cumulative totals (scdhec.gov/COVID19)
- Confirmed and probable cases: 208,435/14,628
- Confirmed and probable deaths: 4,145/321
- Tests performed for South Carolinians: 2,773,206
Testing opportunities (scdhec.gov/COVID19testing)
- Testing opportunities available statewide: 299
Percent positive (scdhec.gov/COVID19dashboard)
- 7,360 new individual test results reported statewide (not including antibody tests)
- 23.8% percent positive
- Hospital data (daily): scdhec.gov/COVID19hospitals
- Extended care facility data (Tuesdays and Fridays): scdhec.gov/nursinghomedata
- Assisted living visitation status (Tuesdays): scdhec.gov/nursinghomedata
- Private, public and charter schools (Tuesdays and Fridays): scdhec.gov/covid19schools
The information above as well as extensive reporting on county-level information, demographics and more is available at scdhec.gov/COVID19. The website is updated between 1 p.m.-3 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m.-1 p.m. weekends. Visit scdhec.gov/COVID19vaccine for the latest vaccine information.
Additional information and resources
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Trump Plotted To Replace AG General In Effort To Overturn Election Results
- Watch High-speed pursuit end after car slams into thick brush and suspects flee
- Man arrested for role in Capitol riot, threatening to assassinate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Spartanburg Coroner: Man entrapped in machine dies early Sunday morning
- Sen. Bernie Sanders turns inauguration meme into sweatshirt for charity
- NC Rep. Cawthorn Scrambles to defend voter fraud claims
- Child, man injured in NC shooting after dispute with driver
- COVID-19 cluster detected at NC State
- South Carolina man faces federal charges in U.S. Capitol riot
- Day two of COVID-19 vaccination clinic held at Charlotte Motor Speedway