There is so much to do at all 39 Virginia State Parks, but only a select few offer year-round primitive camping.
If solitude is what you are looking for and getting back to nature is your goal, then head out to one of our primitive camping sites. Often referred to as backcountry camping, it is typically sleeping outdoors without the amenities of bathrooms, running water or vehicular access. Just think food, water and the basic shelter of a tent.
You can hike or canoe to unique primitive camping sites at several of our parks, and we even have primitive group camping at Shenandoah River, Sky Meadows, James River and Powhatan state parks.
Grab your tent and sleep by the water at one of the 13 Canoe Landing waterfront sites at James River State Park. The sites are near the canoe launch so you can boat to your spot, or in
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- South Carolina Reports Over 760 New and Probable Covid-19 Infections Monday
- Mac Arnold Cornbread & Collard Greens Blues Festival Set for Saturday in Fountain Inn
- Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit Coming to the Peace Center
- Bon Secours Psychiatrist Dr. Carson Felkel Discusses Covid-19’s Ongoing Impacts
- The Week Ahead: Events, Live Music and Food Truck Calendar for Greenville & The Upstate
- Fountain Inn Farmers Market Returns May 2nd
- Dr. Brannon Traxler Named SC DHEC Public Health Director
- Tickets on Sale Now For Spring Albino Skunk Music Festival
- Greenville Calendar: Today’s Things to Do in the Upstate SC
- How To Get Fit and Have Fun Doing It