With more than 3,500 miles of trout streams, along with many ponds, small lakes, and reservoirs, Virginia offers something for every fly fishing fan. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries stocks about 600 miles of water with trout, in addition to 2,900 miles of wild trout streams.
This year, DGIF is kicking off the Trout Slam challenge. The VA Trout Slam is underway now, and anglers who catch all three trout species – rainbow, brook, and brown – in one day can register their catches on the DGIF website and earn a #VATroutSlam sticker. Are you up for the challenge?
Photo by Meghan Marchetti/DGIF
Explore the famous brook trout stream at Rapidan Wildlife Management Area. The WMA borders Shenandoah National Park and offers excellent fly fishing for native brook trout.
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries annually stocks more than one million catchable-size trout in 180 waters around the state.
Photo by Jason Hallacher/DGIF
Target smallmouth bass, channel catfish, and sunfish at James River Wildlife Management Area. If you enjoy float trips, this provides a great put in or take out for a day on the water.
Anglers will enjoy the variety of fly fishing opportunities at Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area. Fish for smallmouth bass on the picturesque Laurel Bed Lake or trout on Big Tumbling Creek at the Fee Fishing Area.
Upstate News Headlines
- GBI: Former Elbert Co. deputy charged for firing shots that hit fellow deputy on self-harm call
- High Speed Chase Leads to Fatality on US-29 in Spartanburg Co.
- See if you can identify the ‘Too Tall Bandit’: FBI Needs Your Help
- AEW Reminds Us How Good Wrestling Storytelling Can Be with Tonight's Huge Title Match
- HUGE NBA Trade! | Russell Westbrook To Washington Wizards, John Wall To Houston Rockets!
- Bob Jones University to host drive-thru Christmas light display Dec. 4-Jan. 4
- Police: Traffic death closes part of Woodruff Rd. in Greenville
- Coroner: Pedestrian hit by car along Woodruff Rd. dies at Greenville hospital
- Provided: 2020 year-end tax strategies for business owners
- Art in Focus: Farmhouse Tacos Mural