VIDEO NOTE: Out of respect for the families of the victims, Sheriff Lopinto said the video was edited to not show them being hit with the actual shots.
A man who was told he would have to clear his gun before entering the firing range initially left the building and fired a shot into the empty parking lot at Jefferson Gun Outlet before going back in and out of the store several times, shooting and killing a female customer and an employee, according to Sheriff Joe Lopinto at a press briefing Monday.
Lopinto said that Ms. Veronica Billiot was just looking to leave the building before the chaos broke out when Joshua Williams pointed a gun at her and fired, fatally striking her.
According to Lopinto, Williams then went in and out of the building a couple of times, exchanging gunfire with up to seven store employees. One of them, Noah Fischbach, was lying on the ground behind the counter with other employees and had his back to Williams when Williams fired two shots into Fischbach’s back.
Lopinto said Fischbach and the other employees likely believed that Williams had left the scene. He said it is possible that Fischbach was reaching for a gun while he was on the ground with his back to Williams not knowing that Williams had returned and was watching him.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Greenville Calendar: Today’s Things to Do in the Upstate SC
- Furman Drops Season Finale At The Citadel, 26-7
- Best Place to Travel in May
- Greenville Weekend Weather: Thunderstorms likely Friday & Saturday, but Sun Returns Sunday
- Centre Stage Announces Grand Reopening!
- Greenville City Council Votes to Extend Mask Ordinance
- Council Extends Mask Ordinance
- Red Horse Inn Outdoor Concert Series Continues this Weekend
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Pucks and Paws Returns Saturday Night
- These South Carolina CVS Pharmacies Currently Have Open Covid-19 Vaccination Appointments