Social Distancing is a shared experience that we all are dealing with in unique and varied ways. We thought if would be interesting to see how people across the Upstate are handling this situation and get their outlook on things going forward.
Today we talk with Greenville Mayor Knox White! Mayor of Greenville since 1995, Mayor White is a graduate of Christ Church Episcopal School and Greenville High School and attended Wake Forest University and the University of South Carolina Law School. He is a partner in the law firm of Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, where he heads the firm’s immigration and customs practices. Learn more at greenvillesc.gov
- What has surprised you most about Social Distancing?
How quickly it entered our vocabulary and how so many adopted the habit
- Do you see Social Distancing having a lasting effect or do you see this as a temporary phase that will be unlikely to affect the way we live and interact longterm?
Cleaner hands and more hesitant handshakes may be lasting
- What’s the first thing you plan on doing once this is all over?
Meet friends and colleagues at a coffee shop and give lots of hugs
- What’s your favorite way to cope with Social Distancing?
Without iPhones we’d be lost.
- Has your view on what’s essential changed over the past few weeks?
I value the face to face contact more than ever. Adapting to video conferencing etc is easier than I might have expected but I’m still desiring the personal contact to keep things moving. Some things virtual are lost in translation !
- Name one thing you thought you’d miss but really don’t.
Big crowded events
Follow the Mayor on Twitter at @MayorKnoxWhite
Together with Fete Magazine and GVLMedia, iOnGreenville will be sharing this new 5 Questions Series as a way to hear from a few of the voices that make Greenville a great place. We will also be using this space to help people easily support our local organizations these people represent.
More Articles in This Series
Upstate News Headlines
- Trump ally attacks Georgia’s Republican governor asking crowd to Lock Him Up
- Connect for Good Greenville provides meals for students
- Trump’s Battle with Attorney General William Barr Over Election Claims Escalates
- “I Knew There Was a Human Being in There”: Alex Winter on Demythologizing Frank Zappa
- Hallmark, Lifetime, Netflix, and Happiest Season Push for Diversity in 2020's Holiday Movies
- Lord of the Rings Cast, Fans Mobilize to Buy Tolkien's Former House
- Here’s What the Covid Vaccine Rollout May Look Like: Johns Hopkins
- Take a number: States will determine your place in line for the Covid-19 vaccine
- Business intelligence: Clemson MBA Executive Class dives into real-world corporate problems
- Panthers in the power rankings before bye week