Join United Ministries and the Second Chance Justice Collaborative for a virtual presentation and forum on mass incarceration and the racial inequities in that system. The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world–while we make up 4% of the world’s population, we hold 22% of the world’s prisoners. The epidemic of mass incarceration has carried with it significant racial disparities. While African Americans and Latinos make up approximately 32% of the population of our country, those individuals make up about 56% of our prison population. Why?
Presented by Second Chance Justice Collaborative director and civil rights attorney Kate Weaver Patterson, this event will explore the explosive rise of mass incarceration in the United States over the last forty years. Greenville Chamber of Commerce President Carlos Phillips will then facilitate a panel where we’ll hear personal stories from individuals who have been impacted, grapple with the appropriate response to this uniquely American phenomenon, and hear from advocates both inside and outside the justice system on necessary reforms and ways to get involved.
Panelists include: Jerry Blassingame from Soteria, Chris Scalzo from the 13th Circuit Public Defender’s Office, Amanda Warren from United Ministries, and Jeff Weston from the 13th Circuit Solicitor’s Office.
Here’s What’s Happening Today in the Upstate
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- One more sunny day
- Amid COVID-19 pandemic, flu has disappeared in the US
- Upstate community grieving after beloved firefighter from Fountain Inn passes away
- Clemson wins 4th straight, holds Wake Forest to 39 points
- Mississippi St. jumps out early, beats South Carolina 69-48
- VIDEO: Dog enjoys snow with skis, in need of forever home
- High School basketball playoffs underway in the Upstate
- Which face mask is best for communication? A new study weighs in
- Community calls for safer streets after lawsuit settlement four years after teen's death
- Here's what you need to know about February's full Snow Moon