South Carolina men’s basketball coach Frank Martin isn’t sure athletes from winter sports should get another year of eligibility despite missing the sport’s premiere event, the NCAA Tournament.
Martin said Monday that only a small percentage of college seniors are included in the sports’ postseason tournaments. He says the vast majority completed their seasons before conference tournaments and other postseason events were canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Martin’s Gamecocks had their opening game of the SEC Tournament called off two weeks ago.
The NCAA is expected to vote on granting eligibility for athletes affected by COVID-19 on March 30.
Martin says he’s struggling with giving another full season to players simply because they missed out on the championship phase of college basketball’s year. He says: “I get that’s a hard decision and a decision that eventually has to be made.”
Upstate News Headlines
- DHEC Reports Over 1000 New Covid-19 Infections Sunday
- Completed Wisconsin recount confirms Biden’s win over Trump
- 10 Biggest Fast Food SUCCESSES Of All Time!!!
- $5,000 relief checks on the way to 60 business owners challenged by the pandemic
- Trump Appears to Throw Georgia Governor Kemp Under the Bus for Election Loss
- Clemson Moves to #3 in Latest AP College Football Poll
- Coroner’s office identifies passenger killed in collision north of Easley
- COVID-19 Vaccines Likely To Be Distributed Before Biden Inaugurated, Doctor Says
- DHEC: Two Upstate counties see highest number of new cases in latest COVID-19 update
- GCSO: Possible kidnapping victim located safe, carjacking investigation still ongoing