Winter season in South Carolina offers a lot of great things to do. With Covid-19 and social distancing, it is important to be able to find fun, safe things to do that are preferably outdoors. Luckily for us, South Carolina has fairly mild winters and outdoor fun is easy to find from the mountains to the coast.
What is there to do in South Carolina in the winter? Plenty! Use the list below to start planning your Winter fun.
Plan a ski trip. Here’s a list of North Carolina ski areas that are an easy drive from the Upstate of South Carolina
North Carolina ski resorts are usually open by mid- to late November. With the exception of Wolf Ridge, which may open later. Be prepared for fluctuating conditions between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as temperatures can warm up and melt the snow.
The season wraps up near the end of March.
- Beech Mountain Ski Resort: highest ski area in the eastern USA
- Sugar Mountain Ski Resort : offering the largest ski area in North Carolina
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: known for it’s the terrain parks
- Cataloochee Ski Area: oldest ski area in North Carolina
- Wolf Ridge Ski Resort: only 40 minutes north of Asheville
The mountains may be your best best for a white Christmas
Head to the South Carolina Coast
With some beaches only a three hour drive, the South Carolina coast is a great way to escape the winter blues.
- Kiawah Island: private island features 10 miles of beautiful beaches
- Hilton Head: golf paradise
- Sullivan’s Island: visit Fort Moultrie and lighthouse
- Pawleys Island: one of the oldest resort areas on the East Coast
- Huntington Beach State Park: 2,500 acres to explore
- Folly Beach: vibrant beach town with a very hip vibe
- Edisto Beach: head to Edisto Beach State Park for hiking and biking trails
- Isle of Palms: quite unspoiled beaches with golf and great dining
- Myrtle Beach: lot’s of attractions that may be less crowded in winter
- Surfside Beach, SC : family friendly and most affordable
Zipline at the Gorge
- 3.5 hour zipline canopy tour perched on the rim of the Green River Gorge.
- Descent over 1,100 vertical feet in elevation from start to finish
- 11 ziplines, sky-bridges, and 3 free-fall rappels.
Take in a Game at Bon Secours Wellness Arena
Both the Greenville Swamp Rabbits Hockey team and Furman Men’s Basketball are now hosting in-person games at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The staff at the arena have been working dligently to insure fan safety. These measures include limited capacity and pod seating for families. Learn more at bonsecoursarena.com
Take a Hike in nearby State Park
Winter hiking can be incredibly beautiful and offer a unique experience as trails are often not as crowded. Greenville is blessed to be situated near the beach and close to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Just up the road and an easy day trip, the Asheville area offers some of the best hiking trails in the country. From moderate trails to steep mountain climbs, the mountains surrounding Greenville serve up plenty of hiking options. Some parks do close in the winter, so call before you go! Here are 5 Great Hikes to consider that are an easy drive of the Upstate.
Check out an area Waterfall
There 70 waterfalls within easy driving distance to Greenville, South Carolina. Here’s a full list of Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina waterfalls.
Use the Map Below to Plan Your Waterfall Adventure
Visit an Upstate Brewery and Taproom
With over 25 breweries and taprooms, the Upstate of South Carolina is a great place to explore and discover a wide range of craft beer. Use the map below to easily plan your own craft beer adventure!
Local Breweries and Tap Rooms
Blue Ridge Brewing Company
308 Trade St
Eighth State Brewing Co.
400 Augusta St
13 Stripes Brewery
250 Mill St Ste PW3101
Birds Fly South Ale Project
1320 Hampton Ave. Ext
6 Whitlee Ct
Carolina Bauernhaus Ales
115 Federal St Anderson
Carolina Bauernhaus Greenville
556 Perry Ave
197 E St John St
Craft and Barrel
23 Rushmore Drive
Fireforge Crafted Beer
311 E. Washington St
501 S. Pleasantburg Dr.
Greenville Beer Exchange
7 South Laurens Street
Growler Haus Village of West Greenville
12 Lois Ave
Iron Hill Brewery
741 Haywood Rd
Liability Brewing Company
109 W Stone Ave
Piney Mountain Bike Lounge
20 Piney Mountain Rd
109 Sloane Garden Rd Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Pour Tap Room
7 Falls Park Dr
Quest Brewing Co
55 Airview Dr
Rail Line Brewing
301 N Main St
226-A W Main St
Shoeless Brewing Co.
104 Mauldin Rd
Swamp Rabbit Brewery
26 S Main St
603 E Stone Ave
The Community Tap
217 Wade Hampton Blvd
The Southern Growl
6 S Buncombe Rd
Thomas Creek Brewery
2054 Piedmont Hwy
What Ales You?
105C New Plaza Dr
Which Craft Taproom
2131 Woodruff Road
202 Scuffletown Rd
Yee-Haw Brewing Company
307 E McBee Ave
Want more craft beer? Head up to Asheville, North Carolina!
With more breweries per capita than any U.S. city, Asheville is a craft beer paradise. Use this interactive list of Asheville breweries to find the perfect craft beer to fit any taste.
Voted Beer City USA 4 years in a row, Asheville is home to over 20 local craft brewers all creating unique and delicious craft beer.
Looking for More Fun? Here’s Today’s Upstate Event Calendar
Blood Drive - The Southern Growl
Charcuterie Board Making
Chef Squared Co. at Tetrad Brewing Company
Countybank Holiday Ice
CSI: Keyboards Virtual Lecture Series – Part III
Ice on MAin
Kountry Wayne (Special Event)
Live music with David Payne
Live music with David Payne - 1st time at St Paul Mountain Vineyards
Lobster Dogs South Carolina at The Pint Station
Name that Tune Music Bingo
Packers vs Buccaneers - Outdoor Screening
So You Want to Hike a Long Distance Trail?
The Lads at Sweeten Creek Brewing
Trey Stephens at Gather GVL
Writers' Workshop- the Fool's Journey
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Newspaper: President Trump pressured DOJ to file case with Supreme Court to overturn election results
- Family and friends remember 21-year-old killed in crash with garbage truck
- Washington Monument closed 'until further notice' due to COVID-19
- Clemson vs. Florida State Men’s Basketball Highlights
- 7,181 new COVID-19 cases reported in NC Saturday, 122 deaths
- NC 98 reopens in Durham County after major crash
- First case of COVID-19 variant reported in NC
- RAW VIDEO: Scene of crash that closed NC 98 in Durham County
- Republican Congressman Caught Trying To Carry Gun Onto House Floor
- Greenville’s Oak Hill Cafe Hosting 18 course Taste of Japan Dinner