A nurse in Pennsylvania administers a Covid-19 test at a drive-through facility. | Ben Hasty/MediaNews Group/Reading Eagle/Getty Images
There were about 10,000 more new cases Friday than the previous same-day high on July 16.
The United States broke its record for the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases reported in a single day on Friday, an alarming sign that what some epidemiologists are calling a “third wave” of infections is spreading at breakneck speed as winter approaches.
According to the New York Times, by the end of the day on Friday, at least 85,085 cases were reported across the country — about 10,000 cases more than the previous same-day high on July 16.
Public health experts have long warned that uneven compliance with social distancing guidelines, inadequate contact tracing programs, and premature reopenings of indoor venues were creating conditions for a resurgence of virus
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Man arrested after woman stabbed multiple times at SC Waffle House, deputies say
- South Carolina politicians, officials react to President Biden's inauguration, Trump presidency
- South Carolina's latest COVID-19 cases, deaths, percent positivity rate
- South Carolina Reports 3,567 New Cases as DHEC Gives COVID-19 Vaccine Update
- Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez and Garth Brooks perform at the inauguration
- Inaugural poet Amanda Gorman: 'Even as we grieved, we grew.'
- 'I'm just lost': Some seniors worry over lack of technology to make vaccination appointment
- Nation's first 'youth poet laureate' Amanda Gorman reads her poem at President Biden's inauguration
- Vice President Harris: A new chapter opens in US politics
- LIVE: Biden sworn in as America's 46th president, Harris becomes first female VP