“WHAT DO YOU make of this?” Trevor Lawrence asked.
Darien Rencher sat with Lawrence on a kitchen counter in an apartment just north of downtown Atlanta, the sweep of Piedmont Park in the distance, the city roiling below. The two — one white, one Black, teammates at Clemson, friends — heard the whip of helicopter blades overhead. They saw the fug of smoke cloaking the streets. They watched as police and protesters shut down the highways, the arteries to the city lacerated.
On a night in late May, Rencher and Lawrence watched as smoke from great fires billowed skyward. One explained why; one listened.
Read Full Story
- Two Minute Drill: Clemson receiver Ajou Ajou
- Two Minute Drill: Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables
- Ajou embracing Clemson as home away from home
- Darien Rencher, KJ Henry talk impact of PAW Journey
- Syracuse football coach Dino Babers Monday presser after Clemson game
- ACC 2-Minute Warning: Week 7 (2020)
- UNC RB Michael Carter Continues To Run Well
- Seahawks vs. Cardinals INSANE Final Minutes | GAME OF THE YEAR | NFL Week 7
- Sunday recap, MNF preview | Fantasy Focus Live!
- South Carolina Gamecocks vs. LSU Tigers | 2020 College Football Highlights
Upstate News Headlines
- Tuesday Shout-Out: A Day Trip to Saluda, NC
- President Trump, Joe Biden make dualing pitches to Midwest in final leg of campaign
- California braces for more fire danger from winds
- Bomb at seminary in Pakistan kills 7 students, wounds 112
- Seth Meyers Takes a Closer Look at How Trump Has Given Up on the Coronavirus
- 'Need has never been greater,' United Way of the Piedmont runs Thanksgiving food drive
- Analysis: Barrett’s confirmation triggers prime time GOP celebration
- Family of Greenville nightclub shooting victim speaks out
- 90,000 people told to evacuate because of wildfires in Southern California
- British study shows evidence of waning immunity to Covid-19