CHARLOTTE — Besides the former Chargers on Carolina’s roster — safety Tre Boston and offensive linemen Russell Okung and Michael Schofield — no Panther is more familiar with this weekend’s opponent than linebacker Tahir Whitehead.
While playing for the AFC West division rival Raiders the past two seasons, Whitehead faced the Los Angeles offense four times. Though the Chargers no longer have quarterback Philip Rivers, Whitehead sees an offense that’s very similar to the one he faced late last season following Shane Steichen’s promotion to offensive coordinator.
“They’re working out some kinks, but you can see that they still have their guys who are making plays,” Whitehead said.
First-round pick Justin Herbert will start at quarterback after he took over for the injured Tyrod Taylor just before kickoff last week. Herbert was impressive, especially with such short notice, completing 22 of his 33
- Dodgers’ Clayton Kershaw will start Game 1 of World Series
- The Cowboys are ‘pathetic, it’s a bad football team … they stink!’ – Keyshawn Johnson | Get Up
- Deshaun Watson is breaking barriers in the NFL | ESPN Cover Story
- Jets should not draft Trevor Lawrence if they get No. 1 pick – Keyshawn | The Max Kellerman Show
- Astros + Rays go at it for 7 epic games | ALCS Cinematic Recap
- Turner says Clemson secondary is playing as well as ever
- Helms playing for ‘dream school,’ grew up in ‘fun’ rivalry
- ‘Great feeling’ for Simpson to make impact at Tech
- Venables says character-first recruiting drives defensive success
- The Day After: Examining the chemistry between Teddy Bridgewater and DJ Moore
Upstate News Headlines
- Cute Puppy and Baby Monkey| Ban Sit Suggest Fruit From Lyly Bela
- Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake! Angeles National Forest.
- Over 25 million have already voted, but this is what pollsters expected: Nate Silver
- How Does Early Voting Affect The Forecast? And Other Listener Questions. l FiveThirtyEight
- The Sun Belt Could Decide Control Of The Senate l FiveThirtyEight Politics Podcast
- Seniors are breaking for Biden, COVID-19 might be why: Nate Silver
- Hurricane Epsilon Bermuda and 50 Foot Waves From Caribbean Disturbance
- Warming today with low humidity
- Deputies in Anderson County say 2 people were shot inside a car
- Minority and small business grants now up for grabs