The 17-year-old Barcelona star received an apology in a Spanish newspaper for being profiled racially by one of its journalists.
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Barcelona player Ansu Fati received an apology in a Spanish newspaper on Thursday for being profiled racially by one of its journalists.
ABC journalist Salvador Sostres wrote of Barcelona’s win over Ferencvaros on Tuesday that “Ansu when running has something of a gazelle, or a very young, black street vendor running” away from police.
Teammate Antoine Griezmann was one of many readers who denounced the description by Sostres in a message on Twitter: “Ansu is an exceptional young man who deserves the same respect as any human being. No to racism and no to bad manners.”
ABC published an apology by Sostres on Thursday.
“My intention was to praise the beauty of Ansu’s movement and his talent as a very young player,” Sostres wrote. “Some expressions were understood as
Upstate News Headlines
- Anderson deputies search for missing juvenile
- Top secret: Biden gets access to President’s Daily Brief
- Venables sees young roster developing down stretch
- Williams happy to deliver big hit, make bigger impact on field
- Greene thankful for Clemson opportunity, has big plans ahead
- Took some time for Davis to get ‘mojo’ back against Pitt
- Mellusi patience paying off into bigger role
- Elliott says Tigers controlled line of scrimmage against Panthers
- Euphoria Hosting Making Our Mark Benefit Dinner at Stella’s Brasserie
- Some Upstate farmers see a shortage of Christmas Trees this year