COLUMBIA, SC (FOX Carolina) As many businesses continue to make adjustments amid the coronavirus pandemic, several have made the hard decision to furlough many of their employees to ease finances.
Wednesday, South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster issued an executive order that makes sure those who are furloughed can still qualify for unemployment benefits.
The order direct the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW) to consider “a voluntary payment, or series of payments, made by an employer to an employee in response to furloughing the employee” as a form of severance pay.
Essentially, this means furloughed employees will not only receive “COVID-19 Support Payments” from their employers, but also be eligible for unemployment benefits.
“Our state’s workforce and employers have never faced a crisis of this magnitude,” said Sara Hazzard, President & CEO of the S.C. Manufacturers Alliance. “On behalf of our state’s manufacturing community and the more than 250,000 South Carolinians they employ, I want to thank Governor McMaster for issuing this Executive Order to provide flexibility for businesses to assist employees during this time of need.”
South Carolina is currently under an <a href=”https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/scemd-sends-out-emergency-alert-to-mark-start-of-at-home-or-at-work-mandate/article_cf40eeb6-7845-11ea-afb6-b34500acc7c3.html” target=”_blank”>”at home or at work” mandate</a>, which requires all residents to stay at home or at work unless visiting family, exercising, or obtaining essential goods or services.
<a class=”tnt-asset-link” href=”https://www.foxcarolina.com/coronavirus/there-are-now-over-2-500-reported-coronavirus-cases-in-south-carolina-with-more-than/article_75eb553c-790c-11ea-8f2e-2f17289de726.html”>There are now over 2,500 reported coronavirus cases in South Carolina, with more than 60 deaths</a>
<a class=”tnt-asset-link” href=”https://www.foxcarolina.com/coronavirus/georgia-governor-extends-stay-at-home-executive-order-through-april-30/article_a8295024-79a4-11ea-aa0a-e74579516fe7.html”>Georgia governor extends ‘Stay at Home’ executive order through April 30</a>
Upstate News Headlines
- Fantasy Football 2020 – Tough Decisions + Week 7 Buy/Sell, TNF Preview – Ep. #967
- Week 7 fantasy football rankings | Fantasy Focus Live!
- Epsilon Could Become a Record Breaking Storm
- Maryland man admits to leaving threatening letter for voters, charged
- Law enforcement in several states investigating after threatening letters, emails sent to voters
- This 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' inflatable will be recognize by the whole neighborhood
- Walmart, Best Buy among major retailers that will be closed on Thanksgiving this year
- Troopers: 1 dead after vehicle hits guardrail, overturns on I-26
- Dabo Swinney previews Syracuse, talks development of Lawrence and Etienne
- Syracuse at Clemson College Football Picks & Prediction Saturday 10/24/20 Sports Chat Place