South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster and the state’s school superintendent are in agreement: schools statewide must reopen as soon as possible to five day a week instruction, and they both say it’s safe to do it.
McMaster and South Carolina Education Superintendent Molly Spearman made remarks Thursday morning where they addressed plans to vaccinate teachers and a plan for returning to school.
“South Carolina cannot afford to delay going back to school any longer,” Spearman said.
Spearman said since September 4, a total of 9,359 students and staff at K-12 schools have tested positive, which she said is 2.9 percent of all positive cases in the state. About 646 schools are open five days a week, and even with high rates of community spread, and there’s no real evidence of spread in the classroom.
A Medical University of South Carolina study of public schools in Charleston found only one percent of students tested positive after the return. On Wednesday, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said schools can return to school safely without teachers getting vaccinated as long as people are wearing masks, social distancing, and following other safety guidelines.
“There is growing evidence….schools are not the superspreaders they were once feared to be,” Spearman said.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- McConnell says GOP will back Murkowski's reelection despite former President Trump's call to oust
- Smartphone addiction could ruin sleep, study says, but you can fight back
- Johnson & Johnson vaccine: what you need to know
- Former President Trump faces probes from 5 independently elected investigators. Here's where each one stands
- Mission Health hospitals to relax visitation restrictions beginning March 2
- 'We're excited': Greenville bars and restaurants react to lifted 'last call' order
- Upstate schools moving on to state championship games
- Pedestrian hit and killed on I-185 troopers says
- Coroner's office responding to fatal crash involving pedestrian in Greenville
- Pedestrian hit by 3 cars dies on I-185, troopers say