If your idea of the perfect outdoor adventure-themed getaway includes a variety activities during the day followed by a well-earned reward, you have got to experience Bath County, Virginia.
Over 85% of the county is forested. A full 51% is National Forest with another 6% State Park. That means lots of room for fun and adventure. Douthat State Park alone has 43 miles of trails for hiking and mountain biking. More trails can be found around Lake Moomaw, at Hidden Valley Recreation Area, and elsewhere around the county. There are challenging trails and family-friendly trails. There are trails that offer payoffs like waterfalls, scenic vistas or wildlife viewing. You can hike or ride all day long, then get up and do it all over again the next day.
Two lakes, two rivers and a variety of smaller streams around the county provide opportunities for paddling, boating and world-class fishing. The shoreline of Lake Moomaw is mostly undeveloped, which means miles of beautiful scenery and quiet coves in which to cast a fishing line. Sailboats, jet skis and motorized boats are allowed on Lake Moomaw. Meanwhile, Douthat Lake within the state park is smaller so motorized boats are not allowed, but canoes and kayaks can paddle out for fishing or exploring. Anglers leave Bath County with more than fish — they take home plenty of tales to tell all their friends back home. If you really want to elevate your fishing experience, consider a day with a professional guide who can take you to where the big fish are biting. If you have always wanted to learn to fly fish, this is your chance.
After you have cleaned off the dirt and sweat from a full day of adventure, it’s time for the reward we mentioned earlier. Start with a cold craft beer. Bacova Beer in Hot Springs is a favorite gathering spot for locals and visitors. If beer is not for you, check out Bath County’s new winery, Rock Roadhouse Winery, or the county’s very own cidery, Troddenvale at Oakley Farm. Both offer tastings by appointment.
A day of adventure on the trails, lakes and rivers will certainly build up a healthy appetite. It’s time to refuel for tomorrow’s activities. Fantastic food is as much a part of the Bath County experience as the scenic views. Dining options range from pizza, sandwiches and country style, all the way to gourmet. The vibrant agricultural community gives creative chefs the opportunity to offer exquisite farm-to-table dishes. All around the county, several unique restaurants are developing a loyal following that is making Bath County a hot destination for foodies.
You might visit Bath County for the great outdoor recreation and fall in love with the food. Then again, you may choose Bath County for its awesome restaurants and fill your days with outdoor fun. Either way, we won’t judge you. All are welcome for the full “Made in Bath County Experience.”
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- $6,800 Tip: ‘COVID Bandit’ Gives $200 To Each Employee At Guard And Grace In Denver
- History & Hope: Daughter of civil rights leader recounts Christmas bombing, school integration attempt
- SC to move into Phase 1B for vaccinations next week
- Suspect arrested after leading police in chase in stolen car
- NC to begin vaccinating frontline workers on Wednesday
- Investigators in Union County asking for help in nine unsolved murder cases
- Greenville Co. Schools partners with Bon Secours for teacher vaccinations
- 'A beautiful soul': Mother who loses son to addiction shares story to help others
- Upstate man charged in Capitol riot claimed to dress ‘just like antifa,’ FBI affidavit says
- Screenshots show texts presented by federal prosecutors of Upstate man charged in Capitol riots