U.S. Rep. Joe Cunningham of South Carolina made it one for the road Thursday, cracking open a can of beer in a toast to his fellow members in sign-off of his brief tenure in Congress.
Cunningham pulled a can from his suit jacket and said, “I raise this glass to my colleagues, both Democrats and Republicans.”
In 2019, the freshman was stopped from bringing a six-pack of beer onto the House floor because alcohol is prohibited. At the time, he said he wanted to give a collection of South Carolina brews to the co-chairman of the House’s Small Brewer’s Caucus.
Cunningham lost his bid for a second term in November.
In his farewell speech to Congress on Thursday, Cunningham said, “For the betterment of this country, we have to come together, we have to sit down and listen to each other, and maybe even have a beer.”
He also called out politicians who “consistently put their party ahead of their own people,” a reflection on his “Lowcountry over Party” campaign slogan.
“I’ve been trying to work with people since the first day I got here,” said Cunningham, who has received plaudits from several groups for his bipartisan work, also noting that President Donald Trump has signed two of his bills into law. “The other side is not the enemy.”
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2TwO8Gm
Bloomberg Quicktake brings you live global news and original shows spanning business, technology, politics and culture. Make sense of the stories changing your business and your world.
To watch complete coverage on Bloomberg Quicktake 24/7, visit http://www.bloomberg.com/qt/live, or watch on Apple TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Fire TV and Android TV on the Bloomberg app.
Have a story to tell? Fill out this survey for a chance to have it featured on Bloomberg Quicktake: https://cor.us/surveys/27AF30
Connect with us on…
Breaking News on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BloombergQuickTakeNews
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Activities That Will Get Your Heart Rate Up
- North Carolina Records Biggest one-day drop in Covid-19 hospitalizations on record
- South Carolina mom who won Worst Cooks in America arrested for ‘homicide’ of three-year-old daugh
- History teacher explains the inauguration to kids, how to celebrate change
- Inaugural Poet Amanda Gorman reads ‘The Hill We Climb’
- President Trump leaves White House for final time on Marine One: full video
- DHEC working to ensure 'every drop' from vaccine vials coming into SC goes 'into arms'
- Man arrested after woman stabbed multiple times at SC Waffle House, deputies say
- South Carolina politicians, officials react to President Biden's inauguration, Trump presidency
- DHEC: 3,567 confirmed new COVID-19 cases, 56 confirmed deaths in SC as of Jan. 18