Bloomington, Minn. indie duo Remo Drive have unveiled another single from their forthcoming junior effort A Portrait of An Ugly Man. “Ode to Joy 2” is an edgy ballad inspired by alcohol, and the accompanying video is the visual representation of that fun drunken Friday night in the backseat of your friend’s car.
Vocalist Erik Paulson elaborates:
The lyrics were inspired by the excess I perceived around me as I transitioned from being a college student into touring full time. Most people who’ve done either can confirm that many social interactions are built around having a drink or smoking weed. Once the honeymoon period of exploration was over for me, I became frustrated with the omnipresence of drugs and alcohol and wanted to write about it… Oh what fun it is laughing at nothing, by this age we all have it down.. When I wrote the final version of the lyrics, I tried to connect with how I think when I’m drunk. I always feel as though I’m loving and hating every second of it. This song captures that same ambivalence.
The song has the same jaded sound as their last record Natural, Everyday Degradation, which was heavily imbued with nihilism. It seems like the hedonistic days of their debut, Greatest Hits, are already over.
A Portrait of An Ugly Man arrives on June 26 via Epitaph Records. Watch the video for “Ode to Joy 2” below, and scroll down for their recent Paste Studio session.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Tips for Preparing Your Home for Spring Storms
- Basketball State Championship field set after two more Upstate teams advance on Tuesday
- South Carolina blown out by No. 12 Arkansas for eighth loss in last ten
- More Americans are dying “in the prime of their lives,” new report finds
- Greenville School District plans for teacher vaccinations to start next week
- President Biden's Cabinet half-empty after slow start in confirmations
- Damien Jurado Announces The Monster Who Hated Pennsylvania, Shares Single “Helena”
- Pyrex and Pink Daisies: Midcentury cookware is fab again
- Grice homers twice in Clemson's 7-3 win over ETSU
- Creamy Sausage Feta Pasta Bake