Columbia, SC (FOX Carolina) – The South Carolina Forestry Commission has issued a state wide Red Flag Fire Alert effective immediately.
Officials say due to weather forecast indicating stronger-than-normal wind gusts and low humidity, combined with dry fuel on the ground, fires outdoors could easily escape and spread rapidly.
SCFC personnel say the purpose of the alert is two-fold: it will discourage outdoor burning and will help prevent strain on fire departments and other first responders needed for COVID-19 related emergencies.
“With the otherwise nice weather this weekend, we just want people who may be working in their yards or enjoying the outdoors to be aware of the elevated potential for fire danger,” SCFC Fire Chief Darryl Jones said.
The alert will remain in effect until lifted by the Commission, whose fire response teams will continuously monitor the situation throughout the weekend.
More news: <a href=”https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/governor-mcmaster-orders-dhec-to-report-covid-19-cases-by-zip-code/article_a0ed23a2-75b8-11ea-ad21-4babc34d8132.html” target=”_blank”>Governor McMaster orders DHEC to report COVID-19 cases by zip code</a>
Upstate News Headlines
- 10 Animals That Adopted Other Species
- Boy's devastating death leads to emotional connection between family, transplant recipient
- 10 Bizarre Unexplained Creature Sightings On Google Earth
- Who is voting? Who is winning? Early vote only offers clues
- WANTED: Escaped inmate from Upstate jail
- Videocast: Isolated showers Sunday, colder Monday.
- Craziest “Saving Lives” Moments in Sports History
- Arby's and Buffalo Wild Wings owner buying Dunkin' Brands
- SC’s Graham, Harrison clash on criminal justice, health care
- Greenville Triumph win the USL League One Final after Union Omaha players test positive for COVID-19