Sept 8 – 24, 2016
Thurs. – Sat. 8pm; Sun. 3pm
“Faking his death was easy. Wearing the corset was hard.”
Mark Twain’s brilliant, but rarely-seen stage comedy set in 1840’s Paris is the Season Opener of Centre Stage’s 2016-2017 Season! Jean-Francois Millet, a young painter of genius, is in love with Marie Leroux, but also deeply in debt to a villainous picture-dealer, Bastien Andre. Andre forecloses on Millet, threatening debtor’s prison unless Marie marries him. Millet realizes that the only way he can pay his debts and keep Marie from marrying Andre is to die, as it is only dead painters who achieve real fame and fortune. Millet fakes his own death and prospers, while passing himself off as his own country sister, the Widow Tillou. Now posing as a rich “widow,” he must find a way to get out of a dress, return to life, and marry his true love.
“Uproariously alive, with guffaws and a barrage of sidesplitters!”—Bloomberg News
“…An absolutely fail-safe machine that makes an audience laugh itself silly.” –The Journal News
Tickets for Is He Dead? are $30, $25, and $10. Shows are on stage Thursday through Sunday, and all seats are reserved. You can reach the box office Tues– Fri from 2-6 pm and 2 hours before performances at 864-233-6733 or visit us online at www.centrestage.org for tickets and additional information. Is He Dead? is sponsored by The Faust-Boyer Group of Raymond James and ADG Preferred Payroll.
“A ripely enjoyable confection! An elaborate madcap comedy that registers high on the mirth meter and reaches
especially giddy comic heights!”—Variety
“Shriekingly funny—I don’t know when I’ve heard a New York audience laugh louder or longer.”—The Wall
Dave LaPage as ‘Jean-Francois Millet/Widow Daisy Tillou’ Chris Cashon as ‘Phelim O’Shaugnessy’
JJ Pearson as ‘Charlie, Basil Thorpe, Claude Riviere, King’ Johnathan Schofield as ‘Agamemnon Buckner aka Chicago’ Christiana Ruebert as ‘Cecile Leroux’
MJ Maurer as ‘Madame Carson/Emperor’
Maury Reed as ‘Hans Von Bismarck aka Dutchy’ Jenni Baldwin as ‘Marie Leroux’
Simon Crowe as ‘Bastien Andre’
Richard Beveridge as ‘Papa Leroux’
Judy Klein as ‘Madame Bathilde/Sultan’
FRINGE SERIES PLAY
Our Fringe Series production of The Volunteer will run concurrently with Is He Dead? and will play on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, Sept 13, 14, 20, 21 at 7pm. All performances are $15, $10.
The Volunteer: It’s the first day of volunteering in a prison for a nervous, but driven grad student in psychology, in her first session with a strong-willed prison inmate. As lights flicker and sirens wail, the two are caught in a lock down that forces hidden agendas to be revealed and the desperate battle of the minds to end in a startling conclusion.
IN THE GALLERY AT CENTRE STAGE
The art of Irv Welling will be on display Sept. 2 – Oct. 10, 2016, Tuesday through Friday from 2-6 p.m. The exhibit is presented in cooperation with the Metropolitan Arts Council. This partnership is sponsored by South State Bank.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Texas power grid CEO is fired following widespread outages during winter storms
- House passes sweeping voting rights bill over GOP opposition
- Southside Christian boys basketball team wins 1A state championship
- Greenville restaurant, grocery store workers hopeful about COVID-19 vaccine eligibility
- Poor shooting night dooms Tigers in 64-54 loss
- Dogs sickened after ingesting opioids, marijuana at park in San Francisco
- Women in sports don't get the media coverage that men do. These 4 Olympians want to change that
- Fire crews respond along North Rutherford Rd. in Taylors
- House passes bill named in honor of George Floyd aimed at preventing police misconduct
- Mauldin HS parent creates Facebook group to bring happiness to students in the class of 2021