CHARLOTTE — The Panthers on Wednesday filled their 80th roster spot by signing linebacker James Onwualu.
The four-year veteran initially signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame. He appeared in nine games for Los Angeles in 2017 as a special teams contributor. Onwualu then appeared in five games for San Francisco in 2018, again playing only special teams.
While Onwualu spent the 2019 offseason with the Jaguars, he missed the entire season with a knee injury. Jacksonville did not re-sign him in 2020.
Onwualu had a tryout with the Panthers on Monday. He’ll have just a few days to make an impression, as rosters must be reduced to 53 players by Saturday at 4 p.m.
The Panthers’ 80th roster spot became available earlier this week when they traded linebacker Andre Smith to Buffalo.
- Dabo Swinney post-practice Wednesday
- ‘Trevor Lawrence is NOT staying at Clemson!’ – Paul Finebaum | First Take
- Week 8 fantasy player rankings | Fantasy Focus Live!
- Should Trevor Lawrence dodge the Jets if they get the No. 1 pick? | First Take
- KJZ discusses Justin Turner celebrating on the field after positive COVID-19 test
- Have the top 3 teams in college football separated from the rest? | College Football Playoff
- ESPN Asks: Would Trevor Lawrence actually stay at Clemson for another year?
- Reacting to Tennessee’s coach saying the gap is closing with Alabama | KJZ
- Justin Turner pulled from Game 6 after positive COVID-19 test | SportsCenter
- Mookie Betts, Cody Bellinger recap Dodgers’ 2020 World Series win | SportsCenter
Upstate News Headlines
- Tupperware profits soar as pandemic shut-ins store leftovers
- FBI warns ransomware assault threatens US healthcare system
- Upstate dad gets second chance at life thanks to Clemson cop's kidney donation
- Supreme Court leaves North Carolina absentee ballot deadline at Nov. 12
- Supreme Court won't expedite latest GOP challenge to Pennsylvania mail-in ballot rules
- COVID-19 cases rise in 45 states, deaths rise in 30 states
- Midwestern farmers consider their vote this year
- Plaquemines Parish damage immediately after Hurricane Zeta
- Woman in custody after barricading herself in grocery store bathroom, police say
- Bloomberg spending $15 million on pro-Biden ads in Ohio, Texas