A new, more infectious strain of coronavirus was found in Mecklenburg County.
The NC Department of Health and Human Services says the first identified case was confirmed by Mako Medical Laboratories in an adult in Mecklenburg County.
But what makes it more contagious? Scientists say it all comes down to mutations.
All viruses change and adapt over time, and this new variant of the virus has a mutation that makes it easier for it to attach to our cells and infect us.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Health care workers overrun, reflect on the last year working in a pandemic
- Woman killed in Piedmont house fire
- Prisoner escapes from Anderson Medical Facility
- Preliminary 2021 Hurricane Season Outlook
- Clemson all-ACC cornerback Kendrick no longer with Tigers
- History & Hope: Former Georgia mayor says meeting civil rights leader at young age led her to serve community
- Most South Carolina CVS Pharmacies Show Open Covid-19 Vaccination Appointments Sunday
- Inmate escapes through Upstate hospital roof, captured hours later, police said
- Police: Escaped inmate back in custody following manhunt in Anderson
- Here's how many towels you should actually own