A 2-year-old North Carolina girl has been found dead after she and her 7-year-old brother were abandoned in a pickup truck in a wooded area of central Mississippi, a sheriff said.
Authorities continued searching for the father on Monday. The mother was charged with child neglect. The boy was taken into protective custody.
Scott County Sheriff Mike Lee told WAPT-TV that James Harrison Jr. and Amy Harrison of Salisbury, North Carolina, were traveling through Mississippi with the children on Thursday when the couple argued at an Interstate 20 exit near the town of Lake.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- New proposed boater education bill could change requirements for some boat lovers
- Tiger Woods faces hard recovery from ‘significant’ injuries in car crash
- North Carolina teachers move to the front of the vaccine line this week
- GCSD is calling on medical experts to weigh in on how to send all children back to schools in a safe
- North Carolina loosens COVID-19 restrictions
- Jerry Richardson gives $150 million to Wofford College Endowment
- AMBER Alert issued for 4-year-old girl abducted in NC
- Latest South Carolina COVID-19 report from DHEC
- Upstate firefighter killed in crash on way to work, coroner says
- NC Governor removes modified stay-at-home order; lifts some other restrictions