MIAMI (AP) Starling Marte celebrated his Miami debut with a tiebreaking homer in the eighth inning, helping the Marlins top the Toronto Blue Jays 3-2 on Tuesday night.
Marte, who was acquired in a trade with Arizona on Monday, drove a 1-0 pitch from Shun Yamaguchi (1-3) deep to left-center for his third homer. He also reached on an error in the sixth and scored from first on Garrett Cooper’s double.
”Once I hit the ball I felt it,” Marte said through a translator. ”I knew it was gone and when I got to the dugout, it was great to enjoy it with the guys. I felt their support. It was a very joyful moment.”
James Hoyt (1-0) got the final two outs in the eighth for the win, and Brandon Kintzler pitched a perfect ninth for his eighth save.
Jon Berti homered for Miami, which moved back above .500 at 16-15.
Upstate News Headlines
- 72-year-old Lexington SC woman dead after being shot in the face
- Learn How To Make Easy DIY Hot Cocoa Bombs for the Holidays
- Limestone to present honorary doctoral degree to first African-American graduate
- Watch The Avett Brothers World Cafe At Home Session
- 60 Seconds with Jo: Swinney Reacts to ACC Sceduling Decision
- Two Minute Drill: Trevor Lawrence on Va Tech, the Heisman, and more
- Two Minute Drill: Dabo Swinney on Va Tech, The Heisman, and more
- Five Places Where Eighty Percent of Covid-19 Transmission Occurs
- Deputies: Man charged with murder in September deadly shooting at Greenville Co. park
- Wofford men’s basketball game canceled