Peters will be sidelined until Nov. 21 due to COVID-19 protocols.
Illinois will face Purdue on Saturday without starting quarterback Brandon Peters, who has tested positive for COVID-19.
The Illini announced on Saturday morning that Peters and redshirt freshman tight end Griffin Moore returned positive tests. “Several other players” will also be sidelined this weekend and next week against Minnesota due to contract tracing.
Moore and Peters will miss 21 days due to Big Ten protocols and be eligible to return on Nov. 21 against Nebraska.
Peters went 8-for-19 for 87 yards with zero touchdowns in Illinois’s season-opening loss to Wisconsin.
The news of Illinois’s two positive cases comes shortly after Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez announced the Badgers’ COVID-19 outbreak has grown to 22 cases. Wisconsin canceled this weekend’s game against Nebraska due to the outbreak.
Upstate News Headlines
- Wondering what’s open for shopping on Thanksgiving and Black Friday? We’ve got you covered.
- Taylors Turkey Day 5-Can Run continues for 29th year
- ONLY on FOX: Meet Frank Hart, a 94-year-old Union Co. resident serving on the school board
- Anderson Co. deputies: 21 arrested in prostitution bust
- From South Carolina to Vegas, Daisy Cakes hasn’t lost its family roots
- 10 Great Gifts for Movie Lovers – 2020
- Police: Asheville man arrested for kidnapping, assaulting man inside residence
- Asheville PD searching for man they say forced his way into home, took aim at another man
- Rina Sawayama Shares New Song “LUCID,” Announces SAWAYAMA Deluxe Edition
- Wednesday Practice Insider: Tigers getting healthy, but lose valuable receiver