You probably already assume that Hot Pockets aren’t the healthiest food option around. At least a few unpronounceable ingredients are to be expected. But what’s actually in them may still surprise you. Here’s what you’re really consuming when you bite into a Hot Pocket.
Hot Pockets and Lean Pockets are basically bread stuffed with meats, cheeses, and sometimes vegetables. That’s probably not the type of meal you expect to taste sweet or to feature sugar as a primary ingredient. But pretty much every Hot Pocket contains between two and eight grams of sugar. Of course, sugars occur naturally in vegetables and milk products, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a product with cheese would include some sugar. But if you’re trying to stay away from added sugars in your diet, it’s important to pay attention.
According to the Mayo Clinic, people sticking to a 2,000 calorie-per-day diet should try to consume no more than 48 grams of sugar per day. If, for example, you have a BBQ Recipe White Meat Chicken Lean Pocket contains 8 grams of added sugars, you’ll need to be careful about how much additional sugar you consume in your other meals and snacks throughout the day. The reality is that sugars are often included in processed foods like Hot Pockets because they add texture and flavor, and they help bread to rise. Considering that the Hot Pocket brand prides itself on crispy crusts and breads, it makes sense then that there’s a little sugar in each one.
Keep watching to see What You’re Really Eating When You Bite Into A Hot Pocket.
Sugar | 0:00
Food coloring | 1:24
Textured vegetable protein | 2:13
Imitation cheese | 2:59
Cheese with sodium citrate | 4:03
Dough conditioner | 5:09
Lactic acid bacteria | 6:02
Buttermilk powder | 6:59
Whey | 7:56
Palm oil | 9:15
High fructose corn syrup | 10:19
Upstate News Headlines
- Former Marine, fiance trying to move forward after their houseboat sank
- Greenville Law Enforcement hold 20th annual Eric Nicholson Blood drive
- DHEC outlines vaccine plans
- T.L. Hanna addresses state championship ticket issue
- Upstate radio station hosts toy drive
- Greenville County Schools declines rapid COVID-19 testing kits
- Man charged for September homicide
- South Carolina sees highest daily COVID-19 spike since pandemic began
- TL Hanna Principal speaks on state championship ticket drama
- Watch: Plane makes emergency landing on Minnesota highway