The Culture of Health Prize honors and elevates American communities making great strides in their journey toward better health. We congratulate Greenville County on being one of Five communities selected by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to receive the 2019 RWJF Culture of Health Prize.
Community partners say the Culture of Health Prize strengthens the collective resolve to face entrenched obstacles and reduce disparities so that the county can be the best for everyone. “We don’t have everything figured out,” says Meghan Barp, president of United Way of Greenville County. “But we see possibility and it’s within reach.”rwjf.org
Health is more than access to healthcare. A Healthy community has the links among education, housing, transportation, and workforce development. Over 200 public, private partnership representing all sectors of our community are working collectively to build a community culture that supports policies, systems and environments designed to give all residents opportunities to live healthy and productive lives. Regardless of zip code.
A robust understanding of the links between education, housing, transportation, and health anchors efforts in Greenville County, South Carolina. OnTrack Greenville, a school-based early warning data system, is helping keep students on track to graduate high school. When a study found a housing shortage among households making less than $20,000 a year, local leaders created the Greenville Housing Fund to expand affordable housing options and purchased land in gentrifying communities. In Greenville, residents take center stage, as illustrated by their successful advocacy to expand transit hours and routes. Whether it’s removing employment barriers for formerly incarcerated people, rallying behind DREAMers, or supporting the Swamp Rabbit Trail’s expansion into low-income neighborhoods, Greenville County is working to ensure progress is shared by all and that everyone throughout the community contributes to and benefits from progress.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- VIDEO: Man accused of throwing Molotov cocktails at ambulances arrested in Pennsylvania
- Cobb County horseback instructor missing, suspicious disappearance police say
- Former President Trump calls for GOP unity, says he won't start another party
- South Carolina walks-off against Clemson for second straight game, USC beats Tigers 8-7
- Mother, son arrested after man fatally stabbed during argument, officials say
- No. 3 A&M beats No. 5 South Carolina 65-57 for SEC title
- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine gets the nod from CDC committee
- Spacewalking astronauts prep International Space Station for new solar panel wings
- Family, friends celebrate life of Upstate firefighter Sunday afternoon in Simpsonville
- Latest South Carolina COVID-19 report from DHEC: Feb. 28, 2021