TALAHASSEE, FL (AP) -Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide stay-at-home order on Wednesday as federal and local pressure mounted for him to abandon the county-by-county approach he had implemented.
DeSantis told reporters that he is issuing the order after consulting with President Donald Trump and White House advisers, who have said that Americans need to stay home throughout April.
DeSantis’ move came hours after the U.S. surgeon general, Dr. Jerome Adams, said on NBC’s “Today” show that he would tell DeSantis that the federal guidelines for social distancing should be viewed as “a national stay-at-home order.”
The state’s confirmed cases are approaching 7,000, deaths have reached 86 and almost 900 are hospitalized with a university model cited this week at the White House showing an exponential growth in the coming weeks.
More than 30 other states had already issued such orders, including other large states such as California, New York and Illinois. Those all acted more than a week ago.
Upstate News Headlines
- The Man Who Eats Roadkill
- Can This Chef Cook A 3-Course Meal With A Waffle Iron?
- I Tried To Recreate 4 Disney Halloween Treats • Tasty
- 10 Minute Morning Yoga For Back Pain
- Family Recreates McDonald’s Drive-Thru
- U.S. Marshals hunt for 'dangerous fugitive' wanted for drug trafficking, officials say
- This Is That Story Marathon • Spooky Edition
- I Survived A Plane Crash As A Baby
- Funniest & Cutest Golden Retriever Puppies #23- Funny Puppy Videos 2020
- WATCH LIVE: 3 social media CEOs face grilling by GOP senators on bias