Get lost in the mountains and waters of the Alleghany Highlands of Virginia.
Grab your kayak or paddleboard and float the many lakes, rivers and streams that make up the Alleghany Highlands Blueway. Explore the Jackson River and its many streams as it flows through the two downtowns – Covington & Clifton Forge and the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. Follow the river on foot or bike as the Jackson River Scenic Trail runs for over 14 miles along its banks. Paddle the Cowpasture River,with a few smaller rapids, before it turns into the headwaters of the James River.
Visit Douthat Lakeat one of Virginia’s oldest parks, Douthat State Park. Swim, boat, or fish on the 50-acre lake. Or explore more than 40 miles of top-notch biking and hiking trails, offering breathtaking views of the mountains. At the other end of the Alleghany Highlands, you
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Tips for Landscaping on a Hill
- New COVID-19 Vaccination Site Opens in Spartanburg
- SEC women's basketball tournament begins Wednesday at Bon Secours Wellness Arena
- 2 trains go off the track in Anderson County
- Videocast: Cooler Tuesday; Tracking next rain
- Gardening Question: When can we expect the last freeze in South Carolina?
- Wofford earns No. 2 seed for SoCon tournament; Furman No. 3
- Lady Gaga's dog walker describes harrowing attack as 'very close call with death'
- WHO: 'Premature,' 'unrealistic' COVID-19 will end soon
- Experts just released the first-ever face mask standard