Even with a burn ban in place, fire officials in Florida have already seen an increase in fires, including a Saturday blaze that was reportedly sparked by a gender reveal celebration.
“We were informed that it was caused by a gender reveal using Tannerite and a weapon,” said Brevard County Fire Rescue Chief Mark Schollmeyer. “Something as seemingly innocent as a gender reveal, can turn into a large-scale disaster where homes are threatened.”
Schollmeyer said people need to follow the rules of burn bans, especially during the coronavirus pandemic, which is straining resources.
“Especially during all these potential COVID-19 responses and medical responses it can quickly overwhelm resources and by that I mean, it will leave no resources to respond to those medical calls when needed,” Schollmeyer said.
“We want to prevent those wildfires started carelessly by let’s say fireworks, camp fires, open trash and burning, bonfires, those kind of incidents can escalate rapidly. The outdoor equipment utilizing internal combustion engines like ATVs, lawnmowers and the like, make sure they have a spark arrestor on them.”