The Panthers’ third-down defense has been one of the league’s worst in 2020, best exemplified by last week’s performance against New Orleans. The Saints converted 12-of-14 third downs, controlling the ball and the clock throughout Carolina’s 27-24 loss. The 85.7 percent conversion rate was the highest allowed by the Panthers in a single game.
“Rush, coverage, everything included, everybody’s got to work together to get off the field because we just can’t allow 12-of-14,” defensive end Brian Burns said. “That’s just unacceptable.”
Players will often say the key to winning third down is not allowing chunk yardage on first and second down. There’s plenty of truth in that statement since it’s more difficult for offenses to convert on third-and-long than third-and-short. But the Saints converted third-and-10, third-and-14, and third-and-8 last week, so just increasing the distance doesn’t guarantee success.
- Teddy Bridgewater a nominee for the 2020 Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award
- Scouting in depth, but at a distance
- Panthers in the power rankings before bye week
- Happy Half Hour Recap: Toboggan or beanie?
- South Carolina State vs. Clemson Condensed Game
- Dabo Swinney previews upcoming road game against VT
- What happens if Florida wins out? A ‘chaotic finish,’ according to Paul Finebaum | KJZ
- Why is Ohio State a College Football Playoff team if they play so few games?
- If Clemson beats Notre Dame in ACC title game, will both make the playoff?
- HUGE NBA Trade! | Russell Westbrook To Washington Wizards, John Wall To Houston Rockets!
Upstate News Headlines
- Spartanburg mother of 4 returns home from 21 year prison sentence sharing encouraging message for community
- Dispatch: armed robbery reported at Greenville Co. food mart
- Rico Nasty Shines on the Mercurial Nightmare Vacation
- Greenville Co. Schools shifts quarantine policy to 10 days with new CDC guidance
- Mario's First English Manga, Super Mario Manga Mania, Is Releasing in December
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- John Boyega's Year Culminates In Every Way With Small Axe: Red, White and Blue
- A volunteer was attacked by a tiger at Carole Baskin’s Big Cat Rescue
- Among first acts, Biden to call for 100 days of mask-wearing
- John Mulaney Got a Visit from the Secret Service after a Joke in His SNL Monologue