Matt is an active composer, teacher, and guitarist in Greenville, South Carolina. He is Professor of Jazz Guitar at Furman University, owner and teacher for guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, ukulele, and music theory at Watson Wood Music, is a founding member of the Greenville Jazz Collective (GJC), voted Best Jazz Band of the Upstate by the readers of the Greenville News, and is a member of Latin-pop group Phat Lip, and plays frequently with a wide variety of other area projects.
As a board member of the Greenville Jazz Collective, he is a steadfast advocate and volunteer for arts and jazz education through fundraising and administrative activities. He is the leader of the GJC JazzEd Ensemble which has visited over 50 area schools in the past 5 years, mostly for no charge to the schools, to share the magic of jazz with younger audiences.
Matt grew up in Greenville, SC where he attended Christ Church Episcopal School and the Fine Arts Center jazz program under director Steve Watson. After graduating from the University of Miami in 2004, and Matt moved to Asheville, NC where he taught at the Asheville School before moving back to Greenville in 2006.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- North Carolina to pay for rides to COVID-19 vaccination sites
- North Carolina COVID hospitalizations are leveling off. Here’s why.
- Lancaster man identified as victim in cold case homicide in South Carolina
- Trump names first lawyer for impeachment hearing as McConnell seeks delay in trial l GMA
- Back in session: South Carolina lawmakers are meeting with the vaccine advisory committee for an ad-
- South Carolina Reports 3,528 new Covid-19 Cases Friday
- Greenville suspect accused in road-rage shooting said he was having flashback
- Austin wins Senate confirmation as 1st Black Pentagon chief
- Bond film 'No Time to Die' delayed again because of virus
- Mega Millions jackpot hits $1 billion ahead of tonight's drawing