Get ready to laugh, cry and flat out have a great time at this ten-day / two-weekend festival of non-stop live history and fun for the whole family.
One of the most photographed women of the 20th century, Jackie Kennedy mesmerized foreign leaders and the American people with her style and sophistication, creating a White House renowned for its beauty and culture. At the same time her youth, privileged upbringing and highly public marriages made her instant tabloid fodder.
In her whirlwind ten-year marriage in the public eye, she gave birth to two children, miscarried one, and bore a daughter stillborn and a son who died just three months before her husband was assassinated. Her husband’s murder left her soaked in his blood and brains. At JFK’s funeral she bore the weight of the nation’s grief. Her widow’s weeds became a symbol of our own pain.
There is something mysterious and private about this very public person. Was she myth maker of her husband’s legacy or shell shock PTSD survivor? How did America survive a decade of unprecedented political assassination and unpopular war? How did democracy survive the Revolutionary ‘60s?
There’s nothing like the experience outdoors under the Chautauqua tent or in a beautiful park on a summer evening. But if you like your Chautauqua experience indoors in air-conditioned comfort, we have that, too.
Don’t miss your opportunity to see Leslie Goddard as Jackie Kennedy at the following venues:
• Saturday | June 15 from 10:00 – 11:00 am at the Runway Cafe at Greenville Downtown Airport, 21 Airport Rd Ext, Greenville, SC 29607. Join us back in the ’60s and meet Jackie Kennedy at the Greenville Downtown Airport outside the Runway Cafe for a fun morning for the whole family. Vintage cars on display. Enjoy the planes, Runway Park and the Military History Center – all at our amazing Downtown Airport! Free parking with attendants directing you to your best parking spot.
• Sunday | June 16 from 7:30 – 9:00 pm at the Greenville Tech Tent – Greenville Technical College, 506 S Pleasantburg Dr, Greenville, SC. – (Use 800 E. Faris Rd parking lot entrance for closest parking) – Opening music: Leslie Nash Kilstofte, principal cellist Greenville Symphony. There are chairs under the Tent. Or bring your own lawn seating. – Rain site for show is Auditorium just behind the Tent. On day of performance, look on the website Home Page for any weather updates.
• Tuesday | June 18 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm at the Spartanburg Headquarters Library, Barrett Room, 151 S Church St, Spartanburg, SC
• Wednesday | June 19 from 8:00 – 9:00 pm at the Trailblazer Park Amphitheater, 235 Trailblazer Drive, Travelers Rest, SC 29690
• Thursday | June 20 from 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm at AB Technical College, Ferguson Auditorium, 340 Victoria Rd, Asheville, NC 28801 – Opening music: Laura Boosinger (lauraboosinger.com) – Cost: $7.00 All tickets and are available only at the door. Groups that wish to be seated together must arrive by 6:30pm. Box Office opens at 6pm on show night. Cash or check only. For more information, please contact: email@example.com
• Saturday | June 22 from 9:00 – 10:00 am enjoy Coffee & Conversation: Jackie Kennedy led by Leslie Goddard at the Upcountry History Museum, 540 Buncombe St, Greenville, SC 29601.
• Saturday | June 22 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm at our newest venue in Brevard, NC, the Transylvania County Library, Rogow Room, 212 S Gaston Street Brevard, NC 28712
• Sunday | June 23 from 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm, an ASL Sign Interpreted show at Hartness Performing Arts Center at Christ Church Episcopal School, 245 Cavalier Dr, Greenville, SC 29607 (Off Mauldin Rd between S Pleasantburg and Fairforest Way near Conestee Park. From Mauldin Rd turn at the Lil Cricket/Marathon gas station.)
There will be great story-telling, lots to laugh about, and deep secrets revealed. You’ll laugh – you’ll cry – you’ll have lots of questions. And they’ll be answered. Bring your stories. Share your experiences. Get inspired. Because it’s not just history – it’s personal.
Greenville Chautauqua’s History Alive Festival is sponsored by Advance America, Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC, City of Greenville, County of Greenville, Metropolitan Arts Council, South Carolina Arts Commission, Southern Benefit Systems, Spinx, Westin Poinsett Hotel, and the amazing Friends of Greenville Chautauqua #JackieKennedy #GreenvilleChautauqua #HistoryComesAlive #ItsRevolutionary #Chautauqua