11 AM-1 PM
Phillis Wheatley Community Center
40 John McCarroll Way, Greenville, SC
Healing Us is space for People of Color who identify as black, African-American, or of the African diaspora to engage in activities and dialogue focused on affirming and healing within this community. We encourage people to bring all of their emotions.
It is our hope that offering space for ongoing healing will allow for effective and productive interracial dialogue, i.e. our ongoing Community Gatherings, where people from various backgrounds come together to engage, heal, and transform ourselves and our world. This space is facilitated by Crystal Tennille Irby, Davelyn Hill and Dr. Dominique Chuku!
People of Color is a broad term encompassing various racialized groups. The history of the United States demonstrates a unique form of ongoing and historical terror and abuse experienced in chattel slavery and perpetual societal lies of Black inferiority against black People of Color.
Because there has not been a process of true reconciliation and repair within the United States, negative effects continue to disproportionately affect the Black population in comparison to other racialized groups. These effects include ongoing wealth gaps, achievement gaps, poverty, housing discrimination, disproportionate criminal justice outcomes, and more.
This program is funded in part by Chapman Cultural Center, its donors, the County and City of Spartanburg and the South Carolina Arts Commision which receives support from the National Endowment for the Arts and the John and Susan Bennett Memorial Arts Fund of the Coastal Community Foundation of SC.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- South Carolina part of expanded Walmart Covid-19 Vaccination Effort
- Trump impeachment to go to Senate Monday, triggering trial
- DHEC: 3,528 new COVID-19 cases Friday, 2 new tools to help people schedule vaccinations coming next week
- Is this the largest wave ever ridden? Video shows surfer on 100 foot wave last week
- Cherokee County deputies arrest and charge man for attempted murder
- $1 billion Mega Millions prize up for grabs
- Remembering three victims of COVID-19 and those they've left behind
- 11 best goal-tracking apps to help you create healthier habits
- Here's why you should use hyaluronic acid in your skincare routine
- More groups added to South Carolina's Phase 1B for vaccines