DeTour de Skunk is a charity bicycle ride through the foothills of the Blue Ridge that begins and ends at the parking area of the SpringSkunk Music Fest (4063 Jordan Rd, Greer, SC 29651) on Saturday October 5, 2019. Check in starts at 8:00 am, the ride starts at 9:00 am. Riders get a commemorative t-shirt, a wristband good for a few hours of entry to the festival afterwards and a cold beer (if 21, of course). More details at albinoskunk.com/detour-de-skunk.
The beneficiary of our Fall 2019 ride will be the family of Eric Brubaker of The Steel Wheels. Details about Eric’s daughter Norah and a link to make a direct donation are found here: https://www.gofundme.com/brubaker-family-medical-support-fund
Signup will be available late Spring. Saturday morning day-of sign-up will be available starting at 8:00 am (cash or check). Please be there by 8:30 am, as the ride leaves at 9:00 am.
There are two routes of differing distance and difficulty. The short route is a beginner-friendly 15 mile run (639 total feet of gain) along rolling country roads from the Skunk Farm to 1909 Campbell’s Covered Bridge and back. The long route, which is 34 miles (1928 total feet of gain) and has a couple of more difficult climbs, includes the short route and also goes through Tigerville and past the 1820 Poinsett Bridge. There are parks at each bridge. We’ll have manned rest stops at each with refreshments, and for a look and photos if you like.
Route information is immediately below for Ride WIth GPS (website or downloadable to app.) and Google Maps. Note that the Google Maps Long Route shows an optional Bypass if you wish to go further than the Short Route takes you (through Tigerville and up to Route 11), but you want to skip the difficult climb past the Poinsett Bridge.
We will have pre-race equipment checks and adjustments and an on-call SAG vehicle courtesy of Benchmark Bicycle Supply Co. if a need arises on the routes. We will have personnel with food and drink at each rest stop.
And as a reminder, we now have two private showers for campers and cyclists!
Short (Ride With GPS)
Short (Google Maps)
Long (Ride With GPS)
Long (Google Maps)
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- 2 Exciting New Hobbies To Try This Spring
- VIDEO: Coast Guard crew helps rescue fishermen from sinking Canadian vessel
- Furman Features Travelers Rest Restaurant Topsoil in New Lunch & Learn Video
- 20 Woman-Owned Businesses to Support on International Women's Day
- Ex-NFL player Kellen Winslow II gets 14 years for rapes
- Officer under fire for slamming police dog against the side of officer's vehicle
- Man Beheads Daughter, Walks To Police Station With Chopped Head In Hardoi
- ‘It’s Not Fair’ Says Jailed Insurrectionist Photographed In Nancy Pelosi’s Office
- South Carolina Unveils New Covid-19 Vaccination Dashboard
- One year into the pandemic, America is still down nearly 10 million jobs