Join us for our art movie series on the last Thursday of each month in January, February, March, June, July, and August. The films and documentaries we show are family-friendly and free! Films begin at 7pm after a brief introduction by a member of the SAM Curatorial Staff. Stick around after the show for a Q&A and discussion!
Chinese artist Cai Guo-Qiang is known for highly-publicized public spectacles that fill the sky with shimmering fireworks or colorful smoke. A new documentary film on the artist, Sky Ladder: The Art of Cai Guo-Qiang, released on October 14, goes in a slightly different direction. It is based on piece carried out in secret in a small Chinese fishing village under cover of night.
Perhaps Cai‘s most compelling, personal work yet, Sky Ladder is a 1,650-foot-tall ladder, held aloft by a giant balloon and rigged with explosives. As the massive sculpture ignites, it creates a fiery vision that miraculously ascends to the heavens.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- In ambulances, an unseen, unwelcome passenger: COVID-19
- 'We just wanna bring him home to a proper burial spot': South Carolina family asks for help in the Upstate in missing man cold case
- Reigning champion Chiefs dump Bills 38-24 in AFC title game
- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador tests positive for COVID-19
- 5, including pregnant woman, fatally shot in Indianapolis
- It’s the One year mark since COVID-19 was detected in US. Here’s what the future looks like
- Wedding ring found in septic truck reunited with owner
- Videocast: Showers likely Monday
- President Biden to reinstate COVID-19 travel rules, add South Africa
- 18-wheeler containing thousands of bees rolls over on Texas highway