Adele Givens is one of the most underrated overachieving comedians and actors in history. A Chicago-born Queen Midas of sorts, everything Adele touches turns to gold. Beginning her reign in late November of 1989, by Feb. 3, 1990 it was clear Adele was a royal force to be reckoned with. After easily outshining her competition in the Crown Royal comedy competition at the Regal theater in Chicago, Adele went on a streak. Winning and placing in competitions all over Chicago, including the Miller lite Comedy search.
Less than a year after her stand-up debut, Adele went to New York where she was immediately crowned the queen of Def Comedy Jam after turning the audience into a tsunami of laughter with her down home, in your face style of comedy. This led to a continuing relationship with Russell Simmons that would prove to validate the title of ‘queen of comedy’ for Adele. From hosting the HBO special “The Bad Girls of Def Comedy Jam” to hosting the “All Stars of Def Comedy Jam,” and even doing a spoken word piece on “Def Poetry Jam.” Adele has proven to be a source of unlimited talent.
With guest roles on television shows like “The Steve Harvey show,” “The Parkers,” “Moesha,” “Martin,” “Tracey Takes On” and many others, Adele showed the industry that she could outshine any spotlight she was put in. After Adele guest starred on the hit show “The Hughleys,” the producers quickly hired her as a regular cast member and Adele continued for the remainder of the shows’ run. Eventually getting her own television pilot, “The Adele Givens Show,” she even landed the role of the ex-wife of Bernie Mac in his debut sitcom, “Pearl’s Place to Play.”
Never losing her edge for stand up, Adele went on to do an HBO half hour comedy special, as well as a “Comedy Central Presents Adele Givens” half hour. Her most successful Queens of Comedy tour broke records and ensured that Adele’s brand of comedy will maintain an audience long after she has retired. The Queens of Comedy was not only nominated for a Grammy for best spoken word but the Showtime special went on to become the highest rated and longest running special in the history of the network!
Adele made her unforgettable movie debut and earned whole new fan base as a stripper named Tricks in the movie “The Player’s Club” and gave audiences everywhere a sneak peek at her real life radio skills as Atlanta D.J. Hollerin’ Helen in the hit movie “Beauty Shop.” This comes as no surprise to urban radio’s audience who got to hear Adele on her own morning radio show titled “The Crazy Howard Magee and Adele Givens Morning Show” on WGCI 107.5 in Chicago. To hear some of those skills fans can tune in to the syndicated “Tom Joyner Morning Show” where Adele did a weekly segment. Unstoppable, Adele is continuing to make her mark as a writer.
Adele has so much untapped talent, it is impossible to say what she will do next. One thing that is certain though — whatever it is, you can rest assured that it will be certified gold! Adele Givens is ‘Such a Lady!’
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- Prisma opening high-volume vaccine center in Greenville next week
- LIVE: Crump, Sellers announce civil rights lawsuit against Anderson Co. Sheriff's Office
- State and local law enforcement work together to secure State House grounds ahead of inauguration day
- Elvis Presley's Graceland starting virtual tours
- A Colorful Retirement Community Transcends Easy Definition in Some Kind of Heaven
- Can Sex and the City Soar Sans Samantha and Address Its White Feminism?
- Post Malone is donating 10,000 of his sold out Crocs to frontline workers
- SC State House closing to visitors until after inauguration as agencies beef up security following FBI warning
- 17-year-old identified as victim in double fatal shooting in Greer, coroner says
- DHEC confirms some problems reported with acquiring death certificates through new system