There are two different camp sessions:
Option 1: June 18th – 20th, 2018
Option 2: July 9th – 11th, 2018
This is a basic mountain bike day camp for girls and boys at Furman University. The suggested age is 8 to 12 years old. The camp is three full days from 8:30am to 4:00pm daily. The cost of camp includes lunch daily on campus and a t-shirt and certificate upon completion. Participants are required to have their own mountain bike and properly fitted helmet.
Instruction includes bicycle riding safety, bike safety checks, proper mounting and dismounting, balance techniques, negotiating obstacles, proper breaking and gearing, climbing and descending hills and descending steps. Road safety riding is also practiced. Extensive trail riding is done in groups designated for different rider skill levels. Participants should be in good physical condition and capable of riding in rough terrain.
The camp is conducted by Furman University Police officers with specially selected past participants and assistants. The student/counselor ration is usually four to one.
Campers will need:
1. A mountain bike:
– in good condition
– multigeared bicycle, working properly
– has front and rear brakes, working properly
– water bottle or wate and has a water bottle cage on the bicycle
2. Eye protection if needed or wants to wear, each rider is personally responsible for their own
3. Properly fitted bicycle helmet with straps that work
4. Comfortable riding shorts or pants
5. Comfortable shoes that covers the entire foot