Today, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) announced 1,319 new confirmed cases and 17 new probable cases of the novel coronavirus COVID-19, 1 additional confirmed death and no new probable deaths.
This brings the total number of confirmed cases to 169,228, probable cases to 8,795, confirmed deaths to 3,687, and 249 probable deaths.
Who Should Get Tested?
If you are out and about in the community, around others, or not able to socially distance or wear a mask, we recommend that you get tested at least once a month.
Routine testing allows public health workers to diagnose those who are asymptomatic and interrupt the ongoing spread of the virus. Learn more about who should get tested here.
425 Testing Opportunities Available Statewide
Testing for COVID-19 is essential because it helps identify people who are infected with the virus, whether they have symptoms or not.
DHEC is working with community partners to set up mobile testing clinics and make testing available in communities across the state. Currently, there are 78 mobile testing events scheduled through December 23 and there are 347 permanent COVID-19 testing facilities across the state. Find a testing clinic or event near you at scdhec.gov/covid19testing.
Testing in South Carolina
As of yesterday, a total of 2,020,577 tests have been conducted in the state. See a detailed breakdown of tests in South Carolina on the Data and Projections webpage. DHEC’s Public Health Laboratory is operating extended hours and is testing specimens seven days a week, and the Public Health Laboratory’s current timeframe for providing results to health care providers is 24-48 hours.
The total number of individual test results reported to DHEC yesterday statewide was 10,827 (not including antibody tests) and the percent positive was 12.2%.
Hospital Bed Occupancy
Hospitals report their information each day to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services by way of TeleTracking, and that same reporting is also provided to DHEC. Click here to view data from today’s TeleTracking report.
Upstate News Headlines
- Spartanburg mother of 4 returns home from 21 year prison sentence sharing encouraging message for community
- Dispatch: armed robbery reported at Greenville Co. food mart
- Rico Nasty Shines on the Mercurial Nightmare Vacation
- Greenville Co. Schools shifts quarantine policy to 10 days with new CDC guidance
- Mario's First English Manga, Super Mario Manga Mania, Is Releasing in December
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- John Boyega's Year Culminates In Every Way With Small Axe: Red, White and Blue
- A volunteer was attacked by a tiger at Carole Baskin’s Big Cat Rescue
- Among first acts, Biden to call for 100 days of mask-wearing
- John Mulaney Got a Visit from the Secret Service after a Joke in His SNL Monologue