Simpsonville, SC (FOX Carolina) — The City of Simpsonville said they are teaming up with Senior Action to provide free lunches to senior citizens to ensure access to nutritious meals during the pandemic..
Seniors who are 60 years and older can sign up to receive a free meal by calling 864-967-9533, the city said.
The meals will be passed out at a drive-through location at the Simpsonville Activity & Senior Center on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 12-12:30 p.m. Caregivers and family members can pick up meals on behalf of seniors who have signed up.
“The purpose of the Senior Center is to serve seniors, and providing free meals to senior citizens is one way that Simpsonville can still fulfill that purpose while the Center is closed,” Simpsonville Parks & Recreation Director Robbie Davis said in a news release, referring to closure of the Activity & Senior Center to help prevent the spread of the Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019. “We encourage seniors across the Golden Strip and Upstate to call and sign up.”
Seniors who sign up will receive one hot meal and one frozen meal on Mondays and Wednesdays and one hot meal on Fridays.
The service starts May 4, and sign-ups must be completed by 1 p.m. on May 1 to receive a meal on the first day of distribution.
Seniors can call 864-967-9533 on Monday-Thursday at 9 a.m. – 3p.m to sign up.
MORE NEWS – <a class=”tnt-asset-link” style=”font-size: 1em;” href=”https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/first-sc-woman-to-recover-from-covid-19-after-plasma-infusion-from-another-recovered-patient/article_02b91272-8afd-11ea-a7be-8ff4ad5c6f66.html”>First SC woman to recover from COVID-19 after plasma infusion from another recovered patient speaks about her experience</a>
Upstate News Headlines
- So You Want to Be Touring Band: A Guide to Touring, agents, and managers
- Weather Outlook: Upcoming Potential Very Cold and Snowy Pattern in Early December
- How to Make Our Easier Roast Turkey and Gravy
- Police: City officer involved in crash on Wade Hampton Boulevard
- Local businesses prepare for Black Friday
- Heat lamps in high demand for outdoor dinning due to pandemic
- Trump team requests recount of Georgia’s presidential race
- South Carolina schedules execution but doesn’t have drugs
- Golden Strip School of Music opens in Greenville
- GSP opens new $9 million Airport Rescue and Firefighting station