It’s all part of a movement encouraging SC students to learn skilled trades. Grace Runkel reports (Oct. 28, 2020)
Learn more about the Be Pro Be Proud mobile workshop
South Carolina’s top-of-the-line mobile workshop for skilled trades, Be Pro Be Proud SC, became a reality yesterday. At a launch event held at the State Farmers Market in West Columbia, Gov. Henry McMaster and Sen. Thomas Alexander, R-Oconee County, helped cut the ribbon on this Public Private Partnership that will promote skilled trades careers throughout South Carolina. Carolinas AGC (CAGC) is the only Commercial Construction Association that has been at the table since day one and we are thrilled about the endless possibilities the mobile workshop will offer.
The 53-foot, double-expandable 18-wheeler will offer students and parents the chance to learn more about skilled trades and the career opportunities that are abundant in South Carolina, including thousands of well-paying construction jobs now available. Nice and shiny on the outside, the blue, silver and black truck features South Carolina’s palmetto tree and crescent moon logo as well as an array of sponsor names and logos. Inside, visitors will feel as if they have walked into an upscale arcade where they will be scored on how well they can drive a commercial truck, weld, operate a piece of heavy equipment, and run a forklift. There are also virtual reality games that teach the techniques of carpentry and diesel mechanics. But, most importantly, visitors will walk away with resources and information on how they can begin a career that is essential and in high demand.
Upstate News Headlines
- We're All Nostalgic for Metropolitan's Chatty Afterparty on Its 30th Anniversary
- 12-year-old shot at Hendersonville Middle School; Student in custody
- Record visitation at Great Smoky Mountains National Park presents challenges; How to help
- Details and Tips on Traveling through GSP Airport during COVID-19
- N.C. Governor issues new face mask order
- Annual Turkey Fry at Miracle Hill
- Why The Covid-19 Vaccines Must Be Kept So Cold
- Hobbies for Animal Lovers
- On the Move: Anna K. King
- Meals on Wheels of Greenville launches Giving Tuesday holiday donation drive